March is Music In Our Schools Month! To celebrate this we will be working on a composition project in band. Students may work in pairs or individually. They will be given 5 minutes per class to work on the project (40 minutes total). They should be working on this project outside of class as well. Students were provided blank staff paper (www.blanksheetmusic.net) and a list of a components. Students will hand in their projects the last week of March. I will input their music into music notation software and hand them a professional copy of their song!
Components of the project:
- Time signature (2/4, 3/4, or 4/4). Should be shown on the first line only.
- Key signature (C, F, Bb, or Eb major-concert pitch). Should be shown on each line.
- Clef sign (bass or treble). Should be shown on each line.
- Length: 8/16/24/32...any length as long as it's a multiple of 8.
Things to keep in mind:
- Double check each measure for the correct amount of beats.
- Use of accidentals is allowed; however, this can sound odd at times so the students must be absolutely sure they think that accidental is used appropriately.
- Only compose something you are capable of performing yourself.
Suggested for students who are overwhelmed:
- Compose a rhythm pattern
- Add notes to that rhythm pattern
- Add articulations & dynamics last.