Mr. Michael B. Garcia
Advancement Via Individual Determination, AVID
Phone: (480) 308-7557
Before I became the AVID District Director in 2014, I spent eleven years as an English teacher, AVID teacher, and AVID Coordinator at Mesa High School, an AVID National Demonstration School. My journey with Mesa Public Schools began long ago as an elementary student at Sirrine Elementary. I then went on to enjoy three great years at Hendrix Junior High and eventually graduated from Dobson High School in 1999.
I hold my Master's Degree in Teaching and am currently pursuing an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from Arizona State University. Areas of my educational focus are in gifted education, bilingual education, educational technology and AVID methodologies.
I have been married to my beautiful wife Trisha for ten years now and enjoy living in my native land of Arizona.
I look forward to many great years in Mesa.
CLASSES I HAVE TAUGHT:
- AP Literature and Composition
- Honors Sophomore English
- Junior English
- Senior English
DISTRICT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES I TEACH:
- Critical Reading 1
- Critical Reading 2
- Student Success Strategies
- Bachelor of Arts in Secondary Education/ English - Arizona State University
- Master of Education/Secondary Instruction- Grand Canyon University
- Gifted Certification- Arizona State University
- AVID Staff Developer
- AVID Subject Matter Expert
- AP Literature and Composition Certification
- Educational Technology Certification
- 60 Graduate level credit hours beyond Masters Degree- Arizona State University
- 30 Doctoral level credit hours (degree in progress)
- Mesa Public Schools Educator of the Month- October 2009
- Mesa High School "Good Guy" Award 2006 and 2013
- 2002 Teacher of the Year - Presented by Aramark Educational Resources
- District Writing Contest Winning Student Instructor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- "Polysemy-A Neglected Concept In Wordplay."The English Journal - January 2007
- Pre-Civil War American Literature
- Media Literacy
- Gothic Literature
- Educational policy
- Teaching Best Practices