Novel H1N1 Flu - School Closure and Re-Opening
In Arizona, the authority to close a school lies with its governing body, but in public health emergencies that authority is also granted to county health departments.
In the event of a public health emergency, the Mesa Public Schools Governing Board and the Superintendent will close and reopen a school in consultation with the Director of the Maricopa County Department of Public Health. The rationale for school closure is to provide “social distancing” that limits person-to-person transmission of the flu virus.
During a school closure all extracurricular activities (i.e., athletics, academic competitions, after school activities, etc.) will be cancelled or postponed until school reopens.
Parents will be given notice prior to a school closure. A projected opening date will also be communicated. Parents can expect school and district communication in the following manner:
- Letters will be sent home with students informing parents of “School Closure and Projected Reopening Date”
- Connect-ED phone calls will be made to parents
- A media alert will be sent to television and radio stations (English & Spanish)
- Notices will be posted on District and School Web Sites
- School Closure and Reopening will be recorded on school voice mail
- School Closure and Reopening will be posted on the school marquee
- School Closure and Reopening Information will be recorded on the Parent Information Line (480) 472-1175