Expectations & Consequences—To maintain a successful learning environment, I have 4 basic expectations for my students.
- Respect: I will respect others, myself and all property by keeping hands, feet, objects and unkind words to myself.
- Truth: I will be honest and responsible for my choices and decisions inside and outside the classroom.
- Active Involvement: I will listen, be ready and follow directions the first time given without arguing.
- Personal Best: I will always do my best and strive for continuous improvement.
Positive behavior is always emphasized over negative behavior in my classroom. Children who follow the rules will always be rewarded with specific, positive reinforcement. They also have the opportunity to earn grabbers, happy grams, smiles, thank yous, positive parent calls/notes, educational activities and other rewards.
However, if a student chooses to have lower expectations, the following is a “bank” of consequences I enforce. These are not in any order.
- point loss
- reminder of the expectation
- teacher conference
- parent notification
- logical consequence
- action plan developed
- practice appropriate behavior
- loss of a privilege
- time in a buddy class
- Extreme situations: Principal involvement will be requested