Factors to consider before adopting a calendar
Many factors must be considered in the creation of a school calendar:
- student achievement and testing
It is important to maximize the number of instructional days available before students begin state testing.
- length of school year
The state requires the school year to be 180 days.
- balancing the number of days in the first and second semesters
State-required holidays are July 4, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day and December 25. The district also has traditionally recognized Labor Day, New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day and Memorial Day.
- beginning and ending days
- the length of October, winter and spring breaks
- teacher planning and professional development days
- coordination with other educational organizations and the resulting impact on employees