Volume XXIV, Number 3, December 6, 2010
In this issue: Important Dates for Career Ladder Application; Career Level Student Achievement Updates: Student Achievement Plans, Results, Professional Dialogues; Exit Placement Reminder; Professional Opportunities: All Kids Are Gifted Professional Development Academy, Learning Teams Cycle 2, National Board Certification; Winter Break Schedule
Career Ladder Department
Career Ladder Specialists
Career Level Student Achievement Updates
Student Achievement Plans
- Student achievement coaches notified educators on or before November 5 that their plans either did or did not meet all criteria. If you are unsure of the status of your Plan, please call your coach or the Career Ladder department.
- Required plan revisions that have not yet been resolved are to be submitted to coaches no later than December 13, 2010. Plans still not meeting criteria by that date will be reassigned to Career Ladder Specialists during January.
- Plans must meet all student achievement criteria no later than January 31, 2011, for applicants to continue in the application process.
Student Achievement Results
- Student achievement results may be completed and submitted when implementation has concluded. Compiling results, including the reflections, is recommended soon after plan completion when thoughts and ideas are fresh in your mind and reflecting on the plan and students' progress is most meaningful and beneficial. Kudos to the educators who have already submitted results!
- Student achievement results and BLM 7 are due no later than April 25, 2011. If you will want to dialogue or consult with your coach about results criteria, please plan ahead and make your appointment with your coach early.
A requirement for most Step 3 educators is to participate in a dialogue.
- Phase A applicants meet with their coaches to discuss a student achievement topic of their choice and submit BLM 28 with their results. Phase A provides an alternate requirement, written reflections, but the intent and the mutual benefit among colleagues can best be captured through a face-to-face dialogue.
- Phase B applicants meet with colleagues to discuss a topic relevant to them. A brief summary/reflection is recorded on BLM 29 and submitted with results.
- Applicants using other documentation models should refer to the Results Checklist specific to their model to review criteria for their results and to determine if a dialogue is included in those criteria.
Exit Placement Reminder
Educators who are placed at Resident Level or Career Level and receiving Career Ladder compensation but are not continuing in the application process for 2011-2012 placement must meet Exit Placement criteria no later than January 31, 2011. Please refer to pages 20-21 in the CLASS Handbook, or call Sandee Coppola at 472.0347 if you have questions.
All Kids Are Gifted Professional Development Academy
Career Ladder will again be offering the All Kids Are Gifted (AKAG) program this summer - our 21st year!
The job description and application for participation in AKAG will be available on our website by December 17 for currently-placed Career Level educators to apply for this highly acclaimed summer program.
Completed applications are due in the Career Ladder office no later than January 14, 2011, to be considered for the summer 2011 program.
Learning Teams Cycle 2
We invite educators who are applying for 2011-2012 placement or who are currently placed to apply for participation in a Learning Team. You may review the Learning Team guidelines and Cycle 2 timeline on our website. Completed Cycle 2 applications must be submitted to Career Ladder no later than January 18, 2011. Please call Barbara Stout, 472.0384, for additional information.
Pre-Candidacy Classes for National Board Teacher Certification
Career Ladder and the Arizona K-12 Center will jointly provide pre-candidacy classes to help you prepare for the National Board Teacher Certification process. Class sessions are scheduled for Tuesdays, January 4 through February 22, 2011, from 5-8 p.m. You may register online through the MPS Professional Development department. For more information, contact Barbara Stout by e-mail or phone (472.0384).
National Board Information Meeting Canceled
The informational meeting about the National Board Teacher Certification process scheduled for Wednesday, December 8, 2010, has been canceled.
Winter Break Schedule
The Career Ladder office will be closed December 20-31, 2010.
Career Ladder Implementation Committee (CLIC) policy states
that CLASS application materials may NOT be submitted via FAX or electronic mail.
The Common Key is a supplement to the Career Ladder Handbook and Guides.
The MPS Career Ladder mission is to increase student achievement
by supporting all employees in achieving high performance standards.