Extracurricular Activity (ECA)
State Tax Credit
What is the Arizona state tax credit for public schools?
Arizona law provides a tax credit for contributions to public schools to support extracurricular activities or character education. Additional support areas include:
- standardized testing fees for college credit or readiness, such as PSAT, AP and IB tests
- career and technical education industry certification assessment
- preparation courses and materials for standardized testing
You can help Mesa students and possibly lower your tax bill by making a donation.
The state tax credit is available to ALL qualifying individual Arizona state taxpayers. You do not need to have a child enrolled in a school to take advantage of this state tax credit. It is always best to consult a tax adviser to see if you qualify for the dollar-for-dollar credit.
A tax credit is different from a deduction, because you may subtract the whole contribution from your Arizona state tax bill. An individual may contribute as much as $200, and a couple filing jointly may contribute as much as $400 to a public school and receive the money back in the form of a tax credit.
Please note: To be eligible for a state tax credit for 2020, your contribution must be received or postmarked by May 17, 2021. ECA donations are not refundable.
Contact Carol Alexander in Student Activities for guidance, 480-472-0133 or email@example.com.
How does it work?
If you qualify for this state tax credit, you may write a check or use your credit card to make a contribution. When you file your Arizona state taxes, you then subtract the amount of your contribution from what you owe or add the amount to your refund.
- If you owe $800 in Arizona state taxes: Make a $400 contribution to a public school, and subtract $400 from your Arizona state taxes. Your tax bill will then be $400.
- If you are expecting an $800 refund on your Arizona state taxes: Make a $400 contribution to a Mesa Public School, and add $400 to your Arizona state tax refund. Your refund will be $1,200.