OF THE GOVERNING BOARD MEETING
OF THE MESA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 4
TUESDAY, JULY 26, 2016
MESA PUBLIC SCHOOLS CURRICULUM SERVICES CENTER
549 N. Stapley, Mesa, AZ
1. On the motion of Mr. Nichols, the Board unanimously agreed to enter executive session at 5:03 p.m. pursuant to A.R.S. §38-431.03.A.4, Discussion to Consider its Position and Instruct Legal Counsel Regarding a Notice of Claim.
1. Review of Agenda Items
The Board briefly reviewed the agenda.
2. Review of Governing Board Calendar
The Board briefly reviewed its calendar through September 2016.
3. Updates from Board Members/Superintendents
Dr. Cowan reviewed the start-up administrator’s meeting schedule. He also reviewed work being done towards the strategic initiatives and shared the new MPS swag bags that were given to administrators at the General Administrators Meeting.
Mr. McCord shared the administration’s concerns about the math crisis, the expectations for iVisions, and the PLC presentation.
Mrs. Sylvester-McCarroll gave an update on the implementation plans for the beginning of the one-to-one computer initiative at Red Mountain and Dobson high schools. The distribution of laptops begins next week.
Dr. Cowan and Mrs. Sylvester-McCarroll gave an update on construction projects.
This item was not addressed and will be placed on the next regularly scheduled Board meeting agenda.
5. Personnel Requests On the motion of Mr. Smith, the Board unanimously approved the certificated and classified personnel requests, including an addendum.
Dr. Cowan informed the Board that, with their approval of the personnel sheets, they appointed two new administrators for the 2016-2017 school year. He introduced:
- Nancy Foley – West Area Director of Special Education
- Andrea Billings – Director of Employee Benefits and Risk Management
6. Consent Agenda
The Board pulled the resolution to name the Mountain View High School Football field for further discussion. This item will be placed on a future meeting agenda.
On the motion of Dr. Whiting, the Board unanimously recommended approval of the consent agenda according to the recommended action for each item.
7. First Hearings
A. Policy GCBA – Professional Staff Compensation
B. Policy GDK – Support Staff Workday
A first hearing was held on Governing Board Policies GCBA – Professional Staff Compensation Plan and Policy GDK – Support Staff Workday.
Dr. Lesar reviewed the proposed changes to both policies. A second hearing and action on these policies will take place at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
8. Call to the Public
A summary of the Call to the Public procedures was made by President Peterson.
One community member spoke on a proposal of opening up a Franklin High School.
The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m.