MESA PUBLIC SCHOOLS CODE OF CONDUCT
FOR ATHLETIC ACTIVITIES AND SPIRIT LINES
Participation in athletics in Mesa Public Schools is regarded as a privilege. With this privilege, student athletes are expected to adhere to a high standard of behavior. All student athletes shall abide by a code of ethics that will earn them the honor and respect that participation and competition in athletic affords. It is important for our athletes to realize they represent their families, the school and this community at all times. Student-athletes act as role models for the younger students and have commitment to their teammates, and coaches to be at their best both physically and mentally at all times. To promte a healthy lifestyle, it is expected that student athletes adhere to the Code of Conduct at all times, not just during the sport season.
ATHLETES MUST REFRAIN FROM:
* Possession/use/distribution/sale of drugs or drug paraphernalia. This includes illegal drugs, alcohol, inhalants and other noxious substances.
* Use or possession of illegal supplements and/or performance enhancing drugs such as steroids.
* Use or possession of prescription drugs without consent of a physician.
* Any other act that results in the student athlete being charged with a crime or referred for juvenile delinquency.
* The first violation will result in the athlete being suspended for 20% of their competitions. This will carry over to the next season of sport if not fulfilled.
* The second violation will result inthe athlete being suspended for 50% of their compeititons (this will carry over into the next season of sport as well)
* Student-athletes who are suspended pursuant to this Code of Conduct will not be permitted to wear any school provided gear (including uniforms) at interscholastic contests during their suspension.
SCHOOL OR TEAM POLICIES:
* This policy establishes a minimum consequence in regards to the violations listed. Schools and Coaches may impose additional consequences for such violations, if approved by the school principal or designee.
* School and team coaches may adopt additonal rules and conduct expectations for their teams.
* Any appeal of disciplinary action should be submitted to the following:
1) School Administration
2) District Athletic Director
3) Area Assistant Superintendent
Parent Sign: __________________________ Student: ____________________
Parent Print: ___________________________ Student: ____________________