Being safe online: Personal Information
Personal information must stay private. Don't share personal information online.
Task: Watch the video for your grade level below:
Main points from the videos:
What is personal information?
Personal information includes passwords, ID numbers, name, address, email address, phone number, & pictures.
How can it be misused?
Personal information can be used to impersonate you online, buy things, or find you.
What can you do to avoid this?
Don't share personal information online. Don't give out information that reveals where you live. Don't use obvious passwords or share passwords. Change passwords often. Log out of public computers.
Pop-ups, ads, and phishing emails: What do these all have in common?
They are all sneaky ways that criminals try to get your personal information.
Task for K-3rd: Read the eBook Delivery for Webster to learn about the dangers of clicking on pop-ups and ads.
Task for 4th-12th: Watch the video Steering Clear of Cyber Tricks to learn how to recognize and avoid phishing emails.
Check for Understanding:
- What are possible consequences of revealing personal information online?
- What can you do to protect your personal information?
- Videos for kids: Lee & Kim, Photo Sharing, Child Focus 'E-safety' , Keeping Your Personal Information Safe & Password Rap
- Videos for teens: How to know if an email is real, The Protection Connection & Phishing Scams in Plain English
- Interactive Comic: Top Secret!
- Interactive website: Privacy Pirates
- GCFLearnFree lesson: Password Tips