one or more pens from the SMART Board pen tray do not work, there are several things to consider. Actually, the pens themselves have no power, so it's not that they don't work. The problem is related to a malfunctioning pen tray, or the SMART Ink software.
There are four pen slots in the tray, and one eraser slot. If their corresponding lights do not work when you pick one of them up, the tray is malfunctioning. You can refer to this video to troubleshoot the problem.
If a pen just makes a box when you try to use it on the SMART Board, it's probably because the Smart Ink is inactive. To activate it, go to the App screen on your computer and click once on the SMART Ink icon. Repeat this until the pen works.
Please call the MPS EdTech SmartBoard line if the problem persists: 2-0004, option 7.
If the SMART Board light on the right side of the board is blinking green, try one or more of the following steps:
- Choose SMART Settings from either the computer system tray or the Apps screen. Click Connection Wizard. Once the green light is solid, close all of the windows that were opened. (It is not necessary to complete the Connection Wizard). If this happens often, you might want to right-click the Smart Settings App and pin to the taskbar. That way, you'll have quick access to it the next time the green light is blinking.
- Update the firmware- directions here. This will not work if there is a red x on the SMART Board icon.
- Make sure the USB cable is attached firmly to the SMART Board and firmly to a USB port on your computer.
- Remove the USB cable from the SMARTBoard. Wait at least a minute. Plug it back in.
- Remove the USB cable from the computer. Wait 10 seconds. Plug it back in.
- Plug the USB cable into a different port on the computer. On a Lenovo, separate the tablet from the keyboard and then plug the USB cable into the tablet directly. After the connection is made, you can unplug the cable, reconnect the tablet to the keyboard, and plug the USB into the keyboard.
- Restart your computer.
- Swap the USB cable with a cable from a board that is working. If this works then you need a new cable.
- If the USB cable is plugged into a wall plate, unplug the cable from the wall plate and direct connect it to the SMART Board. You will have to unplug the wall-mounted cable from the board to do this. When the cable is connected from the computer directly to the SMART board it bypasses the wall cables, and this usually fixes a red light problem. It also means that the wall connection is bad. If you need this fixed, it requires a work order to operations. However in most situations, the board can continue to operate directly connected to the computer, bypassing the wall mount.
the board by using one of the SMARTBoard pens to press the blue
button on the controller for 10 seconds. The controller is behind the
board, on the right side.
- Remove all components of SMART Notebook software, restart, and reinstall the software.
- Connect a different computer to the SMART board (it must have SMART software installed on it).
If it still doesn’t work, call MPS EdTech Support 2-0004, option 7.
If the SMART Board light on the right side of the board is solid red, try the following steps:
The reason that the smartboard most likely has a red light is due to the fact that the smartboard and computer are not communicating. This is usually because the usb port on the Lenovo device isn't picking up the signal. The quick fix:
If you are having trouble using PowerPoint with the SMART Board, try the following:
1. Launch Powerpoint.
2. Select the SMART Ink icon from the upper-right-hand corner.
3. Choose Settings from the column on the right
4. Select the button that says Turn OFF SMART Ink.
5. Click the button labeled Microsoft Ink.
6. Close PowerPoint and re-open it.
7. There should be a Microsoft Ink icon in the upper-right-hand corner.
8. From the Slide Show tab, select From Beginning or From Current Slide.
9. Tap the SMART Board. The Microsoft Ink tools should appear in the lower-left-hand corner.
10. Use the Microsoft ink tools, and your finger to write. If you use a pen from the SMART Board, it will write in the color last chosen from Microsoft Ink. It will also drop the pen tool and you will have to re-select it from the Microsoft ink tools.
11. When you are finished using PowerPoint, bring the SMART Ink tools back by going to the Start Screen on your computer or device. Tap once on the SMART Ink icon located in the Apps menu.
1. Go to the Start screen.
2. From the App menu, click once on SMART System Menu.
3. Return to the desktop screen. The SMART Board icon should appear in the task bar.