Mrs. Joelyn Hilton
Email: Click Here
Hello, and welcome to the Educational Technology department in the Mesa Unified School District! I am thrilled to be part of this growing team of educators helping fellow educators blend technology with their content in a way that benefits themselves and their students as 21st century learners.
I grew up in the Boston area and relocated with my family to Phoenix, Arizona, just in time to graduate from high school and attend Arizona State University. It was there that I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education, with dual certification- Special Education K-12 and Elementary Education K-8.
After working for several months in the French West Indies, I came back to Arizona and started teaching on the Sacaton Indian Reservation. Having computers in schools was a new idea at the time, so I wrote a grant to start an after-school computer club. Students learned computer skills while becoming news reporters and editors.
Two years later, I began my career with the Mesa Unified School District. My second graders sent tomato seeds into space, my third graders were involved in The Great Bean Race, an interdisciplinary unit I developed with another teacher, and my fourth graders had their own broadcast program in our classroom, having obtained funding for the equipment by writing letters to local businesses.
I became an educational technology trainer in the district after fifteen years in the classroom and a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction from Northern Arizona University. In addition to supporting the district technology initiatives, I've been involved in various projects, including:
- Space Integration Module
- Cool Science Investigations
- Intel Teach to the Future
- Library Resource activity developer
- iPad Pilot Project
- Cisco Videoconferencing setup and support with the Chinese and German teachers in the district
- Professional Development Instructor- Big Ideas Math, MyMath, Synergy Gradebook and Report Cards, SMART Boards, Canvas, CyberSavvy, Blended Learning, Google Suite, Writing with Technology and more.
- Mesa Education Association, various committees