Mrs. Joelyn Hilton
Email: Click Here
I am thrilled to be part of a growing team of educational technology trainers in the Mesa Unified School district. We strive to help fellow educators leverage technology and face-to-face learning so that our students can benefit from an enriched environment of blended learning.
I started my educational journey at Arizona State University, where I earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Education, with dual certification in Elementary Education K-8, and Special Education, K-12. During the summers, I had the opportunity to practice my teaching skills while working in "mini clubs" for Club Med in the French West Indies and Ixtapa, Mexico. Can you imagine teaching basic computer programming to adults and children from all over the world while they were taking a break from their beach activities? Yes, this happened back in the 80's when computers were just starting to become a "thing".
Fresh out of college, I was hired to teach on the Tohono O'odham Indian Reservation in Sacaton, Arizona. I think I learned just as much from my students as they learned from me.
Two years later, I began my career with the Mesa Unified School District. Some of the highlights:
- My second graders sent tomato seeds into space.
- My third graders were involved in The Great Bean Race, an interdisciplinary unit I developed with another teacher.
- My fourth graders had their own broadcast program in our classroom, having obtained funding for the equipment by writing letters to local businesses. They also built their very own solar ovens!
After fifteen years in the classroom and a Master's degree in Curriculum and Instruction from Northern Arizona University, I started working in the Educational Technology Department of MPS. In addition to supporting the district technology initiatives, I've been involved in various projects, including:
- Space Integration Module
- Cool Science Investigations
- Intel Teach to the Future
- Library Resource activity developer
- iPad Pilot Project
- Cisco Videoconferencing setup and support with the Chinese and German teachers in the district
- Professional Development Instructor- Big Ideas Math, MyMath, Synergy Gradebook and Report Cards, SMART Boards, Canvas Learning Management System, Digital Citizenship, Blended Learning, Google Suite, Writing with Technology and more.
- Mesa Education Association, various committees
When I'm not teaching, I like to sit outdoors with a cup of tea and a good book, a few hours after the sun rises. I've been known to cook up a storm while making a mess in the kitchen, as well as trying new things like the Native American flute and the German longsword. My husband and I like to laugh, hike, bike, travel, and spend time with family and friends.