Elementary students in Mesa Public Schools are guaranteed quality instruction in a nationally recognized elementary physical education program. Highly qualified elementary physical education specialists provide instruction based on a district approved curriculum that includes a sequence of developmentally appropriate activities for students in grades K-6. Dynamic Physical Education activities are presented in a safe, non-threatening environment. Spacious indoor and outdoor physical education facilities at all 57 elementary schools provide a comfortable arena for participation in vigorous physical activities.
Each elementary school is supplied with ample equipment to provide individualized instruction. All classes are taught by highly qualified state certified physical education specialists. Elementary physical education specialists participate monthly in professional development training sessions that focus on child-sensitive and positive methods of classroom management, integration of cross-curricular academic skills, teaching strategies that promote physical activity, and precautions necessary for providing a safe environment for student participation.
"No Child is Left Behind" in Mesa's Elementary Physical Education Program. All children are provided the opportunity to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to become competent consumers of daily physical activity and healthy lifestyle choices. Technology is utilized throughout the lessons with students wearing pedometers to measure their physical activity.
Major areas of focus:
* Developing and maintaining a level of physical fitness commensurate with daily needs and health standards.
* Activities included are structured so that each child can attain movement competence and confidence in body management activities, rhythmic movement, fundamental physical skills and specialized physical skills.
* The program helps students participate in a highly interdependent and culturally diverse world. This setting provides an environment where children learn to internalize and understand the merits of participation, cooperation and tolerance.
* To stress the positive relationship between physical activity and health and increase participation in and derive enjoyment from lifetime physical activities.
* To develop a positive self-concept through relevant physical education experiences.
* To acquire knowledge and experience in a wide variety of physical fitness activities, physical skills, sport related games, low organized games and lifetime physical activities.
* To acquire safety skills when working with equipment, and when working independently or in groups.
All classes are taught by highly qualified state certified physical education specialists.
Half-Day Kindergarten and Early Learner Kindergarten students receive physical education instruction once weekly for 30 minutes. Students in Full-Day Kindergarten through sixth grade receive physical education twice a week for 30 minutes each lesson.
MPS Elementary Physical Education Curriculum
Dynamic Physical Education for Elementary School Children, Pangrazi, 17th Edition (Teacher Edition)
Lesson Plans for Dynamic Physical Education for Elementary School Children, Pangrazi, 17th Edition (Teacher Edition)