JC-R Foreign Students
The following is a copy of the guidelines for Foreign Students per district Governing Board JC-R:
XI. FOREIGN STUDENTS
The district generally admits foreign students that fall into one of two categories: (1) J-1 Visa – foreign
exchange students, or (2) F-1 Visa – tuition-paying foreign students. For both J-1 and F-1 students, the following guidelines apply:
Schools will consider admission of foreign students on a space-available basis. Upon admission,
students will be screened by the school principal to determine appropriate placement.
- Foreign students must comply with all policies and regulations governing the conduct of district
- Every foreign student must maintain passing grades in all subjects and a satisfactory attendance
- Foreign students will be allowed no more than one year of enrollment.
J-1 Visa – Foreign Exchange Students
The following additional guidelines apply specifically to J-1 students:
1. The district will admit, on a tuition-free basis, foreign exchange students in federally designated programs recognized by the Arizona State Board of Education. The exchange student must be a participant in a program identified in the current advisory list of International Educational Travel and Exchange Programs.
2. Each school may generally admit only one student participant in any given exchange program.
3. Exchange students must be at least 15 years of age and possess a proficiency in the English language that will allow successful participation in classes.
F-1 Visa – Tuition-Paying Foreign Students
The following additional guidelines apply specifically to F-1 students:
1. Each school may generally admit only three student participants from any one placement agency.
2. F-1 students must make normal progress toward graduation.
3. F-1 students must be at least 14 years of age and possess a proficiency in the English language that will allow successful participation in classes.
4. F-1 students are not eligible to compete in varsity-level sports.
5. Tuition must be paid in full prior to the issuance of a form I-20. Refunds of tuition will only be made in accordance with district terms and conditions.
6. Principals will provide host families of exchange and other foreign students with an information sheet regarding the I-20 form. (See JC-R-F(6) for a sample of this information sheet.)