Junior High Gifted and Talented Program
In junior high, gifted services are delivered through concurrent enrollment in honors sections of core subject areas--mathematics, social studies, English language arts, and science. The placement in these classes is determined by the student’s strengths and needs. Honors classes are designed to challenge students through the use of rigorous tasks, differentiation strategies, and higher level thinking skills. Additional information about honors classes can be found in the junior high course catalog. Gifted students will be taught by a gifted-endorsed teacher, and teachers receive regular training and engage in ongoing conversations regarding techniques and tasks suitable for gifted and talented learners.
Identification of Gifted and Talented Students
Depending on a student's test scores, they will be enrolled in concurrent classes according to the criteria below:
- Students scoring at or above the 90th percentile in VERBAL reasoning will be concurrently enrolled in Honors English and Honors Social Studies classes.
- Students scoring at or above the 90th percentile in QUANTITATIVE reasoning will be concurrently enrolled in Honors Mathematics and Honors Science classes.
- Students scoring at or above the 90th percentile in NON-VERBAL (spatial) reasoning will be concurrently enrolled in Honors Mathematics and Honors Science classes and will focus on strategies that the teacher may use to support a student with his/her approach to learning verbal content more successfully by using visual organizers or other support strategies.
An individualized plan for differentiation may be developed to include any of the following options:
- specialized program of study
- accelerated course placement
- accelerated grade placement
Junior High 2019-20 Testing Dates
Carson - TBD
Kino - July 31, 2019
Fremont - TBD
Poston - August 2, 2019
Rhodes - TBD
Shepherd - July 31, November 5, 2019 & May 6, 2020
Smith - November 14, 2019 & March 5, 2020
Stapley - August 1, August 15, 2019, May 11, 2020
Taylor - July 30, November 29, 2019