Recertification - renewal of your Arizona teacher certificate

The Mesa Public Schools Human Resources Department is here to help you with the recertification process. Our hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Feel free to contact us with your questions at ext. 20408.

  1. First you will need a completed application form for your renewal.  CLICK HERE to go to the Arizona Department of Education certification web page.
  2. You will also need a current fingerprint card. Schedule a renewal appointment  with CLICK HERE for fingerprinting information.
  3. To renew a Standard certificate, you will need to show your professional development hours, 90 hours to renew for 6 years, 120 hours to renew for 8 years or 180 hours to renew for 12 years. You may also use college credits, 1 credit hour = 15 professional development hours or you can use a combination of both professional development hours and college credits.
  4. To convert a Provisional certificate, you will need Human Resources to verify 4 semesters or 2 years of full time teaching experience during the time frame of your current Provisional certificate.  You do not need to show any professional development hours. If you do not have the 4 semesters or 2 years of full time teaching experience you will need to complete an application for a one-time extension.  Please also remember to show completion of any deficiencies, if you have deficiencies listed on your current Provisional certificate.

Human Resources is here to help you as a courtesy to our employees. It is YOUR responsibility to receive and maintain a current and valid Arizona certificate in the area in which you have been employed.  It is also YOUR responsibility to received and maintain your fingerprint card. This is not only Governing Board policy; it is Arizona State law. Questions? Call Human Resources at (480) 472-0408.

Mail documents no later than four weeks prior to your certificate expiration.

Arizona Department of Education
Certification Unit
PO Box 6490
Phoenix, AZ 85005-6490

  1. Completed renewal application
  2. Proof of fingerprint card or application
  3. Personal check (amount will vary)
  4. Official transcript, if necessary