How Homework Can Help Students
MPS recognizes the value of homework and believes the purpose of homework should be to:
· Practice or reinforce acquired skills and knowledge
· Complete unfinished classroom assignments
· Make up work missed during absences from the classroom
· Provide an opportunity for the application of skills and knowledge through extension assignments.
· Develop regular study habits, personal responsibility, and time management skills
Homework assignments should reinforce learning objectives. Homework should not be used as a punishment.
MPS believes, as research supports, that the time required to complete assignments will vary depending on each student’s study habits, academic skills, and selected course load. However, a typical guideline to follow is: approximately 10 minutes per grade per night for K/1st – 6th grade students; approximately 1-1 ½ hours per night for 7th – 8th grade students; and approximately 1 ½ - 2 ½ per night for 9th – 12th grade students, depending on the courses.
Click on the logo below to access assistance on homework tasks.