ACCEPTABLE USAGE POLICY FOR MPSCONNECT FOR STUDENTS
When you login to your account for the first time, change your password!
A. GENERAL RULES OF NETWORK ETIQUETTE
MPS students may use the various resources provided by MPSConnect for Students to pursue educationally-related activities. All school/district rules and expectations apply to online behavior just as they do personal behavior. Teachers and other staff will help guide students in their use of the MPSConnect for Students so that students will learn how this Internet resources can serve as a valuable educational tool. In addition to using MPSConnect for Students strictly for educational pursuits, students will be expected to follow generally accepted rules of network etiquette. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Be polite. Do not become abusive in your messages to others.
- Use appropriate language. Do not swear or use vulgarities or any other inappropriate language.
- Keep personal information, including the logins, passwords, addresses, and telephone numbers of other students confidential.
- Use these resources so as not to disrupt service to other student authorized users.
- Do not upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, dangerous or may cause a security risk.
B. UNACCEPTABLE USES
Improper use of MPSConnect for Students is prohibited. Actions that constitute unacceptable uses of MPSConnect for Students and are not specifically addressed elsewhere in these guidelines include, but are not limited to:
- Use of MPSConnect for Students for, or in support of, any illegal purposes.
- Use of MPSConnect for Students for, or in support of, any obscene or pornographic purposes including, but not limited to, the retrieving or viewing of any sexually explicit material. If a student authorized user inadvertently accesses such information, he or she should immediately disclose the inadvertent access to a teacher or to the school principal. This will protect the user against allegations of intentionally violating this policy.
- Use of MPSConnect for Students for soliciting or distributing information with the intent to incite violence, cause personal harm or bodily injury, or to harass or “stalk,” or bully another individual.
- Non-educational uses of MPSConnect for Students including, but not limited to games, wagering, gambling, junk mail, chain letters, jokes, private business activities, raffles, fundraisers, or political lobbying.
- Using profanity, obscenity or language that is generally considered offensive or threatening to persons of a particular race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or to persons with disabilities.
- Plagiarizing any information gained on or through use of MPSConnect for Students or any other network access provider.
- Using copyrighted materials, including commercial software, without permission of the copyright holder, and in violation of state, federal or international copyright laws. (If students are unsure whether or not they are using materials in violation of copyright provisions, they should ask their teachers or a school technology coordinator for assistance. School-based personnel are encouraged to contact the Educational Technology if they have questions regarding use of copyright materials found through MPSConnect for Students.)
- Using MPSConnect for Students for financial gain or for the transaction of any business or commercial activities.