Due to COVID-19 the Lions Club scholarship is no longer available.
Our Scholarship Sponsors
We would like to thank Leisure World Lions Club and Mesa Community College for their partnership with the Mesa Service-Learning Program.
Scholarships will be awarded to seniors graduating from Mesa Public Schools who have completed 200 hours or more of outstanding service over their four years of high school. At least 200 of the student’s service hours must be recorded on their MPS transcript.
The Mesa Service Learning Board committee will select students who will receive $1,000 from Leisure World Lions Club or $500 from MCC. If a scholarship is received from MCC and the choice of college changes, that award will be forfeited.
The scholarships will be awarded to students at their school’s May 2020 awards ceremony.
Criteria For Eligibility:
- Students must be qualified for, or be on track to receive, the Honor for Excellence in Service-Learning. This award recognizes students when 150 hours or more of service are recorded on their transcripts. Service learning hours to date will appear on the students' transcripts. Hours to be completed by April 2019 will be verified by the school service learning coach on the application.
- Strong preference will be given to students who have been involved with service learning activities throughout their four years of high school (as opposed to "just during ninth grade" or just this year"). Service may be listed, described, and referred to; even though it does not appear on the transcript.
- Students must demonstrate a commitment to lifelong service to the community.
- Students must demonstrate potential to be successful in a higher education program. NOTE: No minimum grade point average is required to be awarded a scholarship.
- Students must use the scholarship funds to continue their education at a U.S. accredited college or university.
- Students must be United States citizens or permanent residents.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please submit the following documents along with the fill-in survey no later than April 15, 2020 at 4:30 pm.
- The Letter Essay
Attach a four to five paragraph letter addressed to the Mesa Service Learning Advisory Board that answers ALL the following questions. Your responses should include information on all the significant service you have done in high school. Please make sure this is in essay form. (Tip – It is recommended that you have someone proof read your essay before you submit it.)
1. What are the major service activities and projects in which you have participated? Please estimate how many hours you spent with each activity.
2. What have you observed and learned about others and our community from your service experiences?
3. What have you learned about yourself through these service activities and experiences?
4. What are your post high school plans for your education, career, and service in the community?
- The verification form of 2019-2020 service learning hours from the service learning coach if the current transcript does not show 200 hours or more of service.
- A recommendation letter that must be from a Community Member. This is an adult, not a relative, in the community who is familiar with your community service (preferably a volunteer supervisor outside of your high school).