Model United Nations
What is Model United Nations? : Model U.N. is an academic club activity that travels to conferences locally and across the country to compete. Our students are assigned a country to represent at the U.N., and write papers outlining their country’s position on current issues ranging from solving global warming and alleviating poverty to securing peace in troubled regions. They then travel to a conference and act as a delegate from their country in a simulation with students representing other countries. Those who write the best papers, and most effectively act out the role of a delegate, win recognition at the conference.
Is Mountain View good at Model U.N.? : Why, of course! We are ranked in the U.S. Top 150 by BestDelegate.com. We consistently win “Best in Conference” along with numerous individual awards, and our out-of-state conferences are international conferences where we compete with high schools from across the country and the world. We have also competed in and won recognition at the collegiate level.
What would be expected of me in this class? : Any student enrolling in SS 56 will be expected to do the following:
- Compete at 3-4 Model U.N. conferences
- ASU Model U.N. - Nov. 18-19, 2016
- ILMUNC in Philadelphia, PA - Jan. 25-29, 2017
- MCC Model U.N. - Feb. 10-11, 2017
- MUNFW in San Francisco, CA - April 20-25, 2017
- Raise money through collecting ECA donations and other fundraising activities with the club to pay for travel to these conferences. (Students in 2015-2016 needed to raise about $1600 per person for all travel expenses)
- Fulfill all regular class obligations for AP Comparative Government
- Take the AP Comparative Government test Thursday May 11th, 2017, at 8:00 AM.
- Possess and use a high level of research and writing skills.
Why should I join? : You will gain a great activity to put on a college application, the chance to travel and see new places, the camaraderie of others in the club, and the thrill of victory after a year of hard work!
Other questions? : Call or email Mr. Davis through the staff site!