ABOUT THE TORO BAND PROGRAM
Our motto: "CREATE YOUR LEGACY"
The Toro Band Program was founded in 1976 with the opening of Mountain View High School in Mesa, Arizona. We are a comprehensive band program that offers opportunities for musicians of all ability levels. Our band program is one of the largest in our district, and we are very fortunate to have a community and an administration that is very supportive of arts education. We have four year-round concert bands, a marching band and color guard, a jazz combo class, two jazz ensembles, and two Winterguards. We have been recognized with high ratings in all areas of our band program.
Toro Marching Band at Macy's
We pride ourselves in providing enriching musical experiences for all our members. All areas of our program actively participate in festivals and competitions within our state.
We also value travel as a wonderful educational experience. During the last fifteen years, our band has traveled around the globe. We have given performances in London, California, New Orleans, Florida, New York, Hawaii, Ireland, and China!
WHO IS THE TORO BAND? We are a cross-section of the entire Mountain View Campus.
You will find that our band program contains just about every type of person you can possibly think of. Many of our members actively participate in sports, theater, orchestra, choir, campus clubs… you name it, and we've probably had a band member participating in it at some point. We have some students who are planning on becoming professional musicians or music teachers. We have some students who wish to only pursue music as a hobby.
Every year, several of our students are selected to be members of All-Region and All-State performing groups. In fact, it is not unusual for at least 2/3 of the Wind Ensemble to be selected for an All-Region performing group. Members of our jazz band have been placed in the Arizona All-State Jazz Band. In 2007, one of our students was selected as a winner in the MENC National Student Composition Talent Search. Many of our students have been offered music scholarships to in-state and out-of-state universities and colleges. Students from our program have been selected as members of the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps, the Pacific Crest Drum and Bugle Corps, the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum and Bugle Corps, and the Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps. Previous Mountain View drum majors have been selected to be drum majors of the ASU and NAU marching bands, as well as the Academy Drum and Bugle Corps. In 2009 and 2016, students were selected to be a members of the U.S. Army All-American Marching Band. In 2016 and 2017, one of our students was selected to be a member of the Honor Band of America.
WHAT ABOUT ACADEMICS?
It's been known for a long time that music promotes success in other academic areas. Here's some of the success that students in our band program have seen in recent years:
- Over half of the band has been enrolled in multiple AP courses during the last 10 years.
- The Wind Ensemble was recognized with AIA Scholar-Activity Awards for 10 years straight, meaning that the combined cumulative GPA of all students was 3.5 or higher.
- We have had several National Merit Finalists and Semi-Finalists in the band.
- 2010 - Two band students received PERFECT scores on their ACT tests.
- 2011 - One of our drum majors was recognized as a Flinn Scholar.
- 2011 - The valedictorian at Mountain View High School was a band member.
- 2012 - A member of our band was recognized as a National Hispanic Merit Scholar.
- 2013 - The valedictorian at Mountain View High School was a band member.
- 2014 - A member of our band was recognized as a Flinn Scholar.