School Mascot: PRIDE of Lions
School Colors: Burgundy, Gold & White
Motto: “Porter Pride”
William S. Porter opened for Kindergarten through 6th Grade in the fall of 1991.
We currently offer
- ADK (All Day Kindergarten) for children who turn 5 before September 1st
- Grades 1 - 6th, PE, General Music, Band and Orchestra
- Special Education Programs which include 2 Self Contained SLD (Specific Learning Disability) Classrooms; 1 Self Contained ED (Emotional Disabilities) Class; 2 Self Contained SID (Severely Intellectually Disabled) Classrooms a full time Speech Pathologist and 2 Resource teachers who service K-6 students that are placed in a regular education class but go to 'resource' for a little extra help in specific academic areas.
- We have a 1/2 time Counselor, Psychologist and a Full Time Title 1 School Improvement Specialist.
- Gifted and Talented the district's gifted program, challenges intellectually and academically gifted students beginning in third grade and continuing through junior high. This year students are transported to Johnson Elementary School for this program.
Technology - Porter teachers recognize the importance of staying on top with the ever changing demands of technology. Each classroom has at least 3 to 5 computers for student use, there are 36 computers in our computer lab for students, each home room classroom has a SMART BOARD and a portable smart cart loaded with a computer, projector, airliner, document camera for teacher and student use. Internet Opt Out Form
Tutoring - There are many opportunities for students to get extra help before or after school. Ask your child's teacher for more information.
Summer School - Porter offers a reading and math program each summer. Ask your child's teacher if you are interested in more information about summer school.
Afterschool Programs - HOPE Club (Porter's Environmental Club), Brownies, Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, Enrichment Classes and a variety of other activities are offered throughout the year. Call the office for more information about these programs or stop in the parent resource room and check out the many opportunities being offered through Porter, Mesa Public School, The City of Mesa and many other community organizations.
Family Events - Porter staff and the PTO host many fun family events throughout the school year such as Concerts, Reading and Math Nights, Open Houses, and much more. Check the Calendar and the newsletter for upcoming events.
Parent Involvement - A Parent Resource Center was opened in 2008. This addition is a very important part of our Parent/Student/School/Community involvement program. The Parent Center is located downstairs in room 19. Please stop by and chat with our Parent Educator Lori Scott. Or you may call her at 480.472-6719.
Family Literacy Program - Porter offers classes to adults who have children in Kindergarten through 3rd grade. Adults attend literacy instruction, parenting classes, and computer literacy classes Monday through Thursday at Porter. For more information about Mesa Public School's Family Literacy Programs, call 480-472-7262. For more information about Porter's Family Literacy classes, call 480-472-6735.