School Mascot: PRIDE of Lions
School Colors: Burgundy, Gold & White
Motto: “Porter Pride”
William S. Porter opened for Kindergarten through 6th Grade in the fall of 1991.
We currently offer
- Kinder U (Preschool)
- ADK (All Day Kindergarten) for children who turn 5 before September 1st
- Grades 1 - 6th, PE, General Music, Band and Orchestra
- Special Education Programs which include 1 Self SLLD (Specific Language Learning Disability) Classrooms; 3 Self Contained ED (Emotional Disabilities) Classes; 1 Self Contained SID (Severely Intellectually Disabled) Classrooms a full time Speech Pathologist and 2 Resource teachers who service K-6 students that are placed in a regular education class but go to 'resource' for a little extra help in specific academic areas.
- We have a 1/2 time Counselor, 4/5 time Psychologist and a Full Time Title 1 School Improvement Specialist.
- Gifted and Talented the district's gifted program, challenges intellectually and academically gifted students beginning in third grade and continuing through junior high. This year students remain at Porter for this program.
A+ School of Excellence 2015 - Porter was awarded the prestigious title of A+ School of Excellence 2015 from the Arizona Educational Foundation in May 2015. This program is a comprehensive school assessment program that celebrates outstanding schools and brings to light the positive stories and successes happening in public schools every day.
Technology - Porter teachers recognize the importance of staying on top with the ever changing demands of technology. Each classroom has at least 3 to 5 desktop computers for student use, a COW (computers on wheels) cart with 35 laptop computers for every grade level, 36 computers in our computer lab for students, each home room classroom has a SMART BOARD and a portable smart cart loaded with a computer, projector, document camera for teacher and student use and wifi in each room. The district is in the process of 1:1 student/device deployment. Their goal is to get a laptop into every students hands. Internet Opt Out Form
Tutoring - There are many opportunities for students to get extra help before or after school. Ask your child's teacher for more information.
Summer School - Porter offers a reading and math program each summer. Ask your child's teacher if you are interested in more information about summer school.
Afterschool Programs - HOPE Club (Porter's Environmental Club), Enrichment Classes, Running Club, STEM club, and a variety of other activities are offered throughout the year. Call the office for more information about these programs or stop in the parent resource room and check out the many opportunities being offered through Porter, Mesa Public School, The City of Mesa and many other community organizations. You may also visit After School Programs to find out more information.
Family Events - Porter staff and the PTO host many fun family events throughout the school year such as Concerts, Reading and Math Nights, STEM Nights, Open Houses, Movie Night, and much more. Check the Calendar and the newsletter for upcoming events.
Parent Involvement - A Parent Resource Center was opened in 2008. This addition is a very important part of our Parent/Student/School/Community involvement program. The Parent Center is located downstairs in room 14. Please stop by and chat with our Parent Educator Lori Scott. Or you may call her at 480.472-6714.
Pre-School - Porter has a Pre-School program called Kinder U. Contact Mesa Public Schools to discuss the best placement for your preschooler. Call (480) 472-7250. Or visit the district website.
Mascott - Porter Pride is strong at Porter Elementary School in Mesa, Arizona. The mascot of Porter Elementary is a Pride of Lions. This represents our commitment to shared learning and leadership. With the same teamwork and determination of a pride of lions, our staff strives to make every part of our community a thriving, sustainable environment for student success. We believe that every child can excel academically, reaching a goal of future college attendance with our Advancement Via Individual Determination or A.V.I.D. Elementary.