Poston Weekly Report 10/14 to 10/18
Click on the link below to find out what is happening at Poston this week.
· Welcome Back to 2nd Quarter
· Quarter 2 Sports Practices Begin
· 8:00 am Child Study Team
· 5:30 to 6:30 pm Meet the Coach Night (2nd Quarter Sports in the Gym)
· 8:00am Safety, SEL, and Social Media Collaborative Team Meetings
· 1:00 pm AVID Site Vist
· NJHS Service Opportunity Hale Elementary Fall Festival
Budget Increase Ballot
Voters in the City of Mesa should have received their mail in ballot for the Budget Increase Election. Make sure to cast your vote! Since this is a mail in election only, all ballots need to be postmarked by October 30th in order for your vote to be counted. For more information about the Mesa Public Schools Budget Increase vote, visit: http://www.mpsaz.org/info
Quarter 2 Sports begin practice this week. Make sure to fees are paid and the registration form is filled out and completed. Also, parents, please mark your calendars for Tuesday 10/15 for the Q2 Sports Meet the Coach Night from 5:30 to 6:30pm. There will be important information regarding your child’s participation in sports this quarter will be communicated. This is the perfect forum for questions and answers. See you there.
If you are interested in supporting our Poston Athletic Parent Booster organization, email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PostonAthleticClub/
Poston Parent Network
Poston has their very own parent organization called the Poston Parent Network. This a network of parents who want to support Poston Junior High’s teachers, students, and programs. You can follow them at their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/2401823873219664/.
The next meeting will be on October 22nd in Room 909 at 4:15. All Poston Parents are invited to attend. We will be discussing volunteer support for Poston’s Astronomy Night.
Student Travel Opportunities for 2019-2020
There are two travel opportunities for 8th Grade Students this year and we wanted to share some clarification to help parents and students make decisions.
1. Performing Arts teachers have proposed an educational travel experience for students in these programs. This trip will be from Thursday, March 19th late evening to Saturday March 21st early morning. This trip will allow advanced performing arts ensembles to travel to work with Disney Musicians and participate in a live recording studio event. This trip has been approved by Poston Administration and SIAC and is awaiting Superintendent approval.
2. 8th Grade students have the opportunity to choose to participate in the annual Close Up Washington DC trip, leaving early Sunday, March 22nd and returning late Friday March 27th. This trip is an elective trip and the sponsors sent out paperwork earlier this month. This trip has been approved by Poston Administration, SIAC, and the Superintendent’s office.
Both trips are very popular with students and parents and they have been scheduled so that students may participate in both if they choose to do so. Both trips require students to raise money. Please contact your child’s Performing Arts teacher or Mrs. Harding. They can provide more details.
Due to changes in district policy, emergency contacts may no longer sign out students without permission from the student parent or guardian. That permission may be a note signed by the parent with the time for the release and the name of the individual picking up the student or a phone call to the attendance secretary.
To improve security for your student, we now ask for a picture ID for parents checking their student out of school early. To help expedite the process, please make sure to have your ID ready.
If you send a note with your student to check out early, please have your student take the note to the Attendance Secretary and she will record the request and give your student a pass to allow them to check out at the appropriate time.
Due to amount of traffic at the end of the day, we will not be able to process request to check your student out early after 3:30 pm. If they need to leave during the last period of the day, we ask that they are checked out before 3:30 pm or arrange for them to meet you after the bell rings at 4:00pm. Thank you for your understanding
Poston ECA Donations
Poston is always accepting ECA donations to help fund student extracurricular activities. Each of our events and organizations have their own ECA account. You can also donate to the general Poston ECA account. These funds go to help various activities and student organizations on campus. You can donate via the bookstore or the district website http://www.mpsaz.org/community/eca/
Our bell schedule is up on our website. Start time for every day of school is 9:15 am. End time for school is 4:00 pm except on Wednesdays when school will end at 3:30.
Students may begin arriving on campus no earlier than 8:45 am.
Afterschool Re-Teach and Think Tank time will be held from 4:05 to 4:35, M, T, TH, F
Up and Coming Events
· Mesa Choir Festival
· MPS College Fair at Westwood HS from 5 to 8pm
· 4:15-5:15 pm Poston Parent Network Meeting Room 909
· 8:00 am Department Chair Meeting Room 909
· 4:30 to 6:30 pm MEA Meeting in the Media Center
· 8:50 am NJHS Officer’s Meeting Room 104
· 8:50 NJHS Meeting in Auditorium for all NJHS Members.
· 11:00 to 5:00pm Men’s Only Choral Festival (at MVHS)
· 4:15-5:20 NJHS Event Mountain View Homecoming Participation
· 4:15 to 6pm Mountain View Homecoming Parade and Game (Tailgating Event in the Parking lot for Poston Staff)