Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about the program.

Selection

  • How was my child selected for this program?
    • Teachers were presented with the program's intended goals and the criteria for ideal candidates.  This information allowed the teachers to make recommendations.
    • Students selected for the program exhibit one or more of the following characteristics:
      • strong collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creative thinking skills
      • potential for increased collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creative thinking skills
      • need for flexibility in their learning
      • need for personalized intervention (remediation OR enrichment)
      • need for real-world connection
      • potential to succeed with project based learning
      • potential to take responsibility for their learning 

Curriculum

  • Does this program align with state standards?
    • Yes!  Your child will still learn all of the required standards for each of their core content classes (ELA, Math, Science & Social Studies) as well as their elective classes.
  • How will the content in this program be different from a traditional class?
    • First, the order in which your child learns the standards may be different from the traditional sections.  This is because RTS will be combining content areas that support each other.  In order to do that, the standards might move to different times in the school year so that they are better matched.
    • Second, your child will be engaging in lessons that connect directly to real-world events.  Students will understand that all of their required standards can be used to identify, explain, and engage with a current issue.  To do this, students will likely be engaging in a process called project- or problem-based learning.
  • What is Problem/Project Based Learning?
    • Click here and here for information. 
  • What are 21st century skills?
    • Click here for information.

Academics

  • How will my child be graded in this program?
    • Each course will follow a 90/10 grading structure.  This means that 90% of the cumulative score will be based off of assignments that demonstrate direct understanding of a performance objective (standard) through formal assessments and/or projects.  The remaining 10% of the cumulative score will be based on daily tasks such as checklists and warm-ups.
    • Assignments categorized within the 90% will be scored based on the mastery grading philosophy.
  • What is mastery learning?
    • Key components of mastery learning include the following:
      • based on learning goals and performance standards; one grade given per learning goal
      • emphasizes the most recent evidence of learning
      • measures achievement only
      • excludes measurements of behavior or effort
      • excludes time penalties and extra credit
  • How will grades in the portal be organized?
    • Content areas (ie: math, science, PE, etc...) will each have their own section in the grade book.  Assignments that directly align with one or more performance objectives for that content area will be listed within that portion of the grade book.
  • Why is the same assignment listed in more than one class?
    • Assignments may be listed in more than one content area's grade book because the task/product may address standards in more than one content area.
    • For example: an argumentative essay urging an amendment to a particular law or statute would allow students to demonstrate understanding for both social studies and ELA performance objectives.
  • Will my child's grade be linked to that of their peers?

Behavior

  • What is the discipline program for this program?
    • Rhodes uses a Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports (PBIS) system throughout the school.  This program outlines the expectations for respectful, responsible, and safe behavior in a wide variety of locations and situations.
    • Rhodes to Success will continue to use this behavior program, with minor adjustments when necessary, in order to maintain consistency throughout the school.  This means that students can expect the same process for POP dollars, IR's, and OR's that is listed in the Student Handbook
  • How will conflicts between peers be addressed?
    • Students will be encouraged to address conflicts within their groups through conversation, peer evaluation, and mediation.
    • If conflicts can not be resolved by the members of the grout, teachers will intervene and provide a second attempt at mediation.
  • What if a student doesn't contribute equitably during collaborative work?
    • These situations may need to be handled on a case-by-case basis to determine why the student is falling behind in their portion of the work.
    • If necessary, teachers may intervene to help establish a new timeline for work completion.  In extreme cases, students may be removed from a group for the remainder of the project.