Mrs. Marissa Felix
Email: Click Here
My name is Marissa Felix (previously known as Marissa Beaith). I spent the first 8 years of my life in Toronto, Canada, before immigrating to the United States (I became an American citizen at the end of 2012!). I attended middle and high school in Scottsdale, AZ, at Mountainside Middle School & Desert Mountain High School. I graduated from an IB (International Baccalaureate) program, was a member of National Honor Society, and garnered media attention for having perfect attendance since the beginning of Kindergarten.
I attended Arizona State University from 2006-2009 and received a Bachelor's of Science in Political Science with a minor in Family Studies. By the end of my degree program, I realized that I didn't want to work in politics but wanted to help young people and their families.
I started teaching through Americorps' Teach for America program as a member of the 2010 Phoenix Corps. I spent 2 years teaching in the Glendale Elementary School District, teaching both 7th and 8th grade Science. At the end of my second year teaching (May 2012), I earned my Master's of Arts in Secondary Education.
I've lived in Mesa since 2009, and as soon as I got the chance, I took an opening at Rhodes Junior High. I joined the Rhodes faculty in 2012, and in 2013, I moved into Dobson Ranch. I'm now in my 5th year at Rhodes (7th year in teaching), and I couldn't be happier to be at this fantastic school. I teach 8th grade Science, 8th grade Honors Science, and the 8th grade AVID Elective.
In my free time, I like to walk, read online, take care of my pets (a miniature pinscher Lefty, a sulcata tortoise Valentina, and a leopard gecko Luna), ride my bike to local restaurants, and listen to public radio. I was married November 14, 2015. We are currently expecting our first child in January 2017.
I am highly qualified to teach Middle Grades Science, High School Biology, and Secondary English. I have a provisional Gifted endorsement.
- Rhodes Leadership Team; Member
- AVID Site Team; Member
- Gifted & Talented Committee; Member
- National Academic League; Coach
- Safety Committee; Leader
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA); Member
- 2015 - The Families and Science Project (Dr. Simpkins, ASU); Research Assistant
- 2014-15 - Ambitious Assessment in Science Classrooms (Dr. Lyon, ASU); Research Subject
- 2014-15 - Secondary Science Teaching with English Language and Literacy Acquisition (Dr. Lyon, ASU); Research Subject & Research Subject Mentor
- 2009 - After School Matters/Project Reach (Dr. Simpkins, ASU); Research Assistant
- 2008 - Juntos Project (Dr. Umana-Taylor, ASU); Teen Interviewer
- Teach for America; Alum
- iTeach/TEAMS (ASU); Mentor for Teaching Interns & Student Teachers
- National Science Teachers Association; Member
Recent Outside Professional Development:
- 2016 "AVID Conference: Advancing the AVID Elective" (AVID); Teacher Participant
- 2015 "National Science Teacher Association Conference (Reno, NV)" (NSTA); Presenter
- 2015 "Resource Trunks" (AZ Game & Fish Dept.); Teacher Participant
- 2015 "Project WET" (U of A & ASU); Teacher Participant
- 2015 "AVID Conference: Tutorology" (AVID); Teacher Participant
- 2015 "SRP Sustainability Summit" (SRP); Teacher Participant
- 2014 "Teaching Inquiry-Based Science" (SRP); Teacher Participant
- 2014 "Engineering Sustainable Education" (SRP & Arizona Science Center); Teacher Participant
- 2014 "AVID Conference: Middle School Elective Implementation" (AVID); Teacher Participant
- 2013 "Making Connections" (Arizona Historical Society); Teacher Participant
- 2013 "AVID Conference: Science Strand 1" (AVID); Teacher Participant
- 2013 "Entering into the Argument" (Arizona Department of Education); Teacher Participant,
- 2015-Present - In-progress - Certificate of Gifted Education, ASU
- 2014 - Non-degree coursework - Advanced Marriage and Family Relationships, ASU, & Intro to Parenting, ASU
- 2012 - M.A. Secondary Education, ASU
- 2009 - B.S. Political Science, ASU