Research Project Guidelines
All requests for conducting research within and/or through Red Mountain High School must follow specific guidelines which were established for the following reasons:
● To protect the rights and privacy of students, parents/guardians, and staff
● To add to the body of knowledge in the chosen research field
● To protect the integrity of Red Mountain High School
Research in/through Red Mountain High School is defined as any data collection from or about Red Mountain High School/Mesa Public Schools, students, parents, or staff OR any research outside the school system conducted by students of Red Mountain High School. Research includes, but is not limited to, data collection for the purposes of fulfilling the requirements of a publication in a journal or book and/or completion of an class project (science fair project, AP Research project, etc).
The purpose of these guidelines is to establish a standard procedure for individuals or agencies to follow when requesting to conduct research in/through Red Mountain High School. Having a standard procedure for researchers to follow helps to respect staff and student time, enables system research committee members to review applications in light of existing laws and statutes about privacy and research, and promotes quality research to improve a body of knowledge.
Forms to complete when requesting permission to conduct research at Red Mountain High School:
1. All projects must complete the following International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) forms and receive approval from your teacher to begin project.
2. If the project falls under the following 4 categories it must be approved by the Institutional Review Board (IRB). Click on the category to read the guidelines and then submit the RM IRB and ISEF forms
ISEF Form 2 may be necessary for projects with higher risk
3. If submitting a research project for IRB approval, complete the IRB Submission Form and project specific form (above). Submit the completed application with all supporting documents to your teacher the day before the IRB Date:
-December 13th (no new submissions, only reviews of edits from previous submissions)