Ms. Emily Pavkov
PE71 - Intermediate Dance
Instructor: Ms. Pavkov
Meeting Time and Location: Dance Room #502
Course Credit: 1/2 elective credit. May be used to meet either the PE or fine arts requirement for graduation. May be repeated for credit.
Supplies: $5 lock from bookstore. You may not use personal locks. All personal locks will be cut off lockers immediately. (PE uniform not needed for any dance course.)
Course Description: This class will build upon the fundamental techniques and vocabulary in ballet, modern and jazz. Other dance styles including; tap, lyrical and musical theatre may be explored. More sophisticated choreography concepts will be developed. Dance concert is required along with the extra time scheduled to produce this concert.
Prerequisites: By audition or PE 70 teacher’s approval verifying successful completion of PE 70
Next level of Dance at RMHS: PE 72/Advanced Dance. By audition only. Students that wish to be considered for Advanced Dance must be able to cleanly demonstrate mastery of at least a double pirouette along with the following factors in determining readiness for Advanced Dance; successful completion of PE 71 (B or better, choreography project completed, less than 10 absences, full participation in dance concert, including dress rehearsal, positive attitude and mastery of intermediate level dance concepts and technique with a willingness to try new things and an attitude in class that demonstrates a students desire to improve not only in their technique but also their performance skills).
1. To improve the students level of technique in all styles mentioned above.
2. To master intermediate level movement combinations including technique, rhythm, timing as the students develops a personal performance style.
3. To condition the body for its fullest movement potential; achieving this by working to improve our level of physical fitness.
4. To promote creativity in each student through choreography.
5. To continue to develop the students performing skills.
6. To continue to develop an appreciation for the arts.
7. To learn the basic skeletal and muscular systems and their function so we as dancers can understand our movement instrument and help to prevent injuries.
8. To increase the student's knowledge of dance history.
Dance Room Rules:
1. Treat everyone with respect.
2. Always try your best. Do everything full out unless told to "mark it"
3. Be self disciplined. Stay alert and "on-task".
4. No profanity. *#%!*
5. No food, drink, or dance bags in dance room.
6. No cell phones should be brought into dance room during class. If I see one, it goes to phone jail!
If we all abide by the above rules it will be easy to accomplish our goal of excellence!