This course is an introduction to sociology as a way of understanding the world. Sociology is a field of study that explains social, political, and economic phenomena in terms of social structures, social forces, and group relations. I will introduce you to the field by focusing on several important sociological topics including socialization, culture, the social construction of knowledge, inequality, race and ethnic relations, poverty, and political sociology. You will leave this course with:
· An understanding of the three main sociological perspectives;
· An understanding of several important sociological theories;
· The ability to apply these perspectives and theories to contemporary social problems;
· Insight into the critical link between social structures, social forces and individual circumstances;
· Insight into how you shape society, and how society shapes you.