Course Credit: 1/2 credit. May be used to fulfill the physical education or fine arts, elective course requirements for graduation. This course may be repeated for credit.
Course Description: This class will introduce to the student the fundamental techniques and vocabulary of ballet, modern/contemporary and jazz. Other dance styles like, lyrical, hip hop, musical theatre and tap may be explored. Choreography concepts will be introduced and explored in class activities. Participation in dance concert is not required but highly recommended (you must perform in concert if you would like to be considered for intermediate dance next semester). Dance Concert Dates: Fall: December 1st and 2nd Spring: April 20th and 21st
Next Level of Dance Class Offered at RMHS: PE 71/Intermediate Dance. Teacher approval is needed to move into PE 71. To be considered for approval your participation in PE 70 must include the following; earn a C+ or better, choreography project completed, less than 9 absences, mile run completed under 12:30, full participation in dance concert, including dress rehearsal, positive attitude and mastery of beginning level dance concepts and technique.
1. To learn the basic technique and vocabulary in ballet, modern and jazz styles.
2. To move with correct rhythm and timing while developing a personal performance style.
3. To condition the body for its fullest movement potential; achieving this by working to improve our level of physical fitness.
4. To promote creativity in each student through choreography.
5. To continue to develop the students performing skills.
6. To foster an appreciation for the arts.
7. To learn the basic skeletal and muscular systems of the human body, so we as dancers can understand our movement instrument and help to prevent injuries.
8. To increase the student's knowledge of dance history.
Dance Room Rules:
1. Treat everyone with respect.
2. Always try your best. Do everything full out unless told to "mark it"
3. Be self disciplined. Stay alert and "on-task".
4. No profanity. *#%!*
5. No food, drink, gum, phones or bags in dance room.
Daily Procedure: Enter building through the west doors and go straight into the locker room. Dress out quickly. You have 5 minutes. Come into the dance room and sit in roll call circle for attendance. If you are not sitting IN YOUR SPOT for attendance you will be marked tardy and lose participation points for the day.
Dress Out: Dress out every day in appropriate dance attire as follows: *No gum, no jewelry, tie hair out of face*
- Tops must be non-embellished tee shirt (preferably solid colors). Shirts you wore to school and tank tops are not acceptable.
- Bottoms must be stretchable pants that are no shorter than above the knees unless you have tights on. Jazz pants and dance capris are always acceptable. Basketball shorts and boxer shorts are not acceptable under any circumstances.
- You will lose participation points every day you are not dressed out.
If we all abide by the above rules it will be easy to accomplish our goal of excellence!