ABIL is considered another layer in the positive behavior intervention supports at SHARP. ABIL is a stimulus free environment that is intended for students to de-escalate and/or refocus successfully, while continuing to provide positive constructive academic and behavioral learning experiences in order for the student to return to class and be a successful student. We have de-emphasized the punitive aspect and stressed the positive learning experiences for students. We believe that students need a safe and structured setting to think about how their actions affect others, and how other individuals feel when they become subjects of disrespect.
Prior to a student re-entering their classroom, students will meet with either the principal or other delegated staff member to re-teach the expectations of being safe, responsible and respectful. Strategies and coping skills will be identified and practiced as part of the goal setting in the intervention.
- The purpose of ABIL is to provide the student an opportunity to de-escalate in their behaviors and/or refocus.
- ABIL is used after multiple interventions have been applied and students need a separate environment for additional interventions to occur.
- ABIL is used to re-teach the SHARP expectations of being safe, responsible and respectful.
- ABIL is used to identify and practice coping skills and other strategies that may help the student be successful
- ABIL is used for student self-reflection