How To Qualify
STEP 1: Screening
Purpose: To determine if there is a developmental need warranting additional evaluations
Procedure: Call to schedule an appointment at (480) 472-0703. Check in upon arrival.
Allow at least a 90-minute block of time for the screening process:
- vision screening and review of social and developmental information with the nurse
- hearing screening by an audiologist
- educational, speech/language and motor screening by special education teachers and speech/language specialists
- social/self-help survey by parents
- reveiw of current reports from outside agencies
- check out: a review of the screening results to determine if further evaluation is needed.
When/Where is Screening?
Screenings are usually monthly at the:
Student Services Center
1025 N. Country Club Drive, Mesa, AZ 85201
STEP 2: Evaluation
Purpose: To determine program eligibility
Procedure: An initial evaluation appointment will be scheduled with you at the end of screening, or within 15 days of screening/receipt of records, if appropriate.
A comprehensive evaluation will be completed:
- review of current, pertinent records
- administration of standardized tests to address areas of social, self-help, motor, communication and cognitive skills, if not recently completed. The test will be administered by a team of professionals that may include special education teacher(s), speech/language specialist(s), psychologist and other specialists, depending upon the needs of the child.
- completion of a questionnaire regarding your child's skills at home
A Multidisciplinary Evaluation Team (MET) meeting will be scheduled with you within 60 days of your signed permission for evaluation to discuss evaluation results and program eligibility. If your child is found eligible for services, an additional meeting will be scheduled to present an Individualized Education Program (IEP). Regardless of the outcome, you will receive a written report of the evaluation results and recommendations.
STEP 3: IEP Meeting
Purpose: To develop a special education program plan
Procedure: An Individualized Education Program (IEP) will be developed:
a) A detailed review of your child's current levels of performance and
goals, based upon identified need
b) The type and duration of services recommended
Your written permission is required before any services may begin. The location, days and times of the program will be discussed. Transportation arrangements will be made, as needed.
If your child is NOT eligible, other options you may consider include:
Head-Start, (480) 464-9669
KinderU : tuition based preschool, preschool scholarships, preschool with childcare (480) 472-7250