Welcome to 8th grade social studies. I am looking forward to the new school year.
ARIZONA STATE STANDARDS: If you would like to view 8th grade social studies standards clink on the link below.
1st SEMESTER CURRICULUM includes geographical and historical Skills, the Road to Revolution, Evolution of the United States Government, Historical Foundations of Economics and the Great Depression.
2ND SEMESTER CURRICULUM includes World War II, the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement and the Contemporary World.
Study guide for the Civics Exam students must pass in order to graduate from high school can be found at
I. Classroom Rules and Expectations
· Follow all Stapley and Mesa Public Schools’ rules, including, but not limited to, the dress code and electronics policies.
· Come to class on time. You need to be in your seat when the bell rings.
· Come to class prepared. Have a writing utensil, homework, social studies folder and comp book, Stapley binder
· Accept responsibility for class assignments and responsibilities
· Do not act in a way that will disrupt your learning, or the learning of others.
II. Classroom Consequences:
· Step 1: Warning/ reminder of the rule
· Step 2: Student will stay after class to discuss behavior
· Step 3: Teacher will contact parent or guardian and student will serve a 10 minute detention
· Step 4: Teacher will contact parent or guardian and student will serve a 30 minute detention
· Step 5: Referred to administration
III. Grading Policy
All letter grades are based on a percentage of points earned.
90% and up = A
80-89% = B
70-79% = C
60-69% = D
Below 60% = F
It is the responsibility of the student to check their grades online.
IV. Late Work Policy
· I will accept 1 late work assignment for each 9 weeks without a penalty or loss of points. Any additional late assignments will not be accepted.
V. Make Up Work
· If students are absent, it is their responsibility for obtaining and completing missed material. It is best to come in before school for instructions. Students will have one day for every day they are absent to make up the work.
VI. Required Materials
· Pen and Pencil
· Notebook Paper (comp book or spiral notebook)
· Social Studies folder for class (and at home)
· Markers/Colored Pencils (optional)