Dear Parents/Guardians and Students,
Welcome to SC08 - General Science. I would like to take this opportunity to review my classroom expectations so that this will be a rewarding school year for all of us during your junior high school career. By reading and signing these policies, you are acknowledging your awareness and acceptance to abide by these policies in this classroom at all times.
- Respect yourself, other students, teachers, administrators, materials and equipment.
- Complete of all class work and homework.
- Personal best - EVERY day!
- SAFE ACTIONS during labs and classroom activities. (refer to Flinn, labs, text book, teacher instructions and directions throughout the classroom)
- Actively study for tests and quizzes
- Follow lab write up procedure to ensure clear demonstration of each concept
Stapley Junior High School has adopted four attitudes for success: TRUTH, TRUST, RESPECT and RESPONSIBILITY. The following school rules and standards will apply in this classroom. These standards will be more fully defined, discussed and demonstrated in class.
SCHOOL AND CLASSROOM RULES
Be on time, prepared and ready to learn
Materials and equipment are tools, not toys. Use materials and equipment appropriately and as instructed, written or verbally, at all times.
Unsafe or inappropriate behavior will result in any or all of the following actions, depending on severity of behavior:
verbal reminder of the expectation
being removed from the group and receiving a zero for the assignment
removal from the room
required to fill out reflection paper
need to make up lab or activity before school on your own time.
NOTE: Any broken or damaged equipment will cost the ENTIRE lab group points (20 points per item). Everyone in the group is responsible for the safety of each other and the care of equipment.
ALL LABS AND WORKSHEETS WILL BE IN YOUR COMP BOOK (unless I indicate otherwise). THESE ASSIGNMENTS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED IN YOUR COMP BOOK AND WILL NOT BE GRADED UNLESS THEY ARE CORRECTLY ENTERED IN YOUR COMP BOOK. HAVE YOUR COMP BOOK WITH YOU EVERY DAY THIS YEAR (180 DAYS!!)
ALL work - test, quizzes, lab write ups, etc. are designed to help students master the Arizona State Standards in science. Any assignment, test, quiz or lab write up that does not score 80% or greater needs to be corrected. A score of less than 80% indicates that the student needs more studying / practice in order to master the concept. IF that test, quiz or assignment causes the student's grade to fall below a B, I will re-grade assignments and allow test re-takes to improve that student's class grade. See the schedule below for when re-takes and tutoring are offered.
>>>MISSED LABS, WORK, TESTS:
Make-up Work: Your student is responsible for finding out what s/he missed. S/he should check the homework board, online, or with me when I’m not teaching. Two (2) days will be allowed to do make-up work for each absence IF the assignment is an over-night assignment.
IF the assignment is a larger project and advance notice is given, THEN THE DUE DATE IS AS POSTED!! NO EXCEPTIONS !!
If a student knows that he/she will miss class on the due date, then the assignment must be turned in prior to the missed class for full points.
If the student is ill on the due date, then the assignment is due at the beginning of class on his/her first day back from the absence. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS. ASSIGNMENTS ARE DUE AS POSTED.
(Modifications will be made in extenuating circumstances)
- Late Work: Work is expected to be turned in on time. Late work will be discredited 10% per day for the 1st 3 days. Any late work after the 3 days will be graded for a maximum 60% credit. (Modifications will be made in extenuating circumstances). No late work will be accepted after the end of a unit.
SCHEDULE FOR MAKE-UP WORK, RE-TESTING, TUTORING -
- I have office hours Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings from 8:15 until first bell. Some mornings I will have meetings to attend so make an appointment to come in and have me sign a hall pass so that you can come down before school. Arrangements can be made to meet with me before school or during my prep. Email as needed: email@example.com. If I am not available, you may go to ANY science teacher for work time / help.
- Your quad-ruled composition book is your take-home text book. All work will be done in the comp book. All assigned reading, assignments and homework will be in the comp book. Having a complete, accurate, up-to-date and organized comp book will help you be successful. The comp book will be picked up and graded periodically with each chunk of assignments graded as a whole, and entered as one assignment grade. Partial work within each graded assignment chunk will cause that assignment grade to be graded as late when the entire chunk is finally turned in.
REQUIRED MATERIALS: your current quad ruled comp book - at ALL times, SEVERAL usable pencils, dry erase marker, 2-3 different colored highlighters, colored pencils, small bottle of liquid glue, red ink pen.
Student Signature: __________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: __________________________________________