Prep Band: full year Prerequisite: teacher placement
School instruments are available on a very limited basis, so students usually must either own or rent their own instruments. Placement will be determined through an audition with the director. Attendance at all evening and other calendered performances is required. Basic skills are emphasized in the areas of tone production, music reading, instrumental technique and ensemble performance. A uniform is required for members of all bands.
The purpose of Intermediate Band is to:
• develop good technical habits in each student on his/her respective instrument.
• provide remediation for misconceptions each student may have regarding basic playing technique.
• strengthen each student’s ability to transfer written notation into a physical playing process.
• teach basic musicianship, including dynamics and phrasing.
• develop in each student a sense of responsibility to himself/herself and to the other students in the ensemble.
• help each student realize a sense of pride in the work he/she produces through thorough preparation and attention to directions.
• develop self-control and discipline as it relates to classroom behavior and individual practice.
• prepare each student for advancement to the most challenging band in which he/she is capable of participating successfully.
• Tone Production (a concept of characteristic tone and the skills needed to achieve it)
• Scales (all major scales for at least one octave and the chromatic scale through the basic range of each instrument; these are used to familiarize the students with all the fingerings in the basic range of each instrument and the common fingering patterns)
• Technique (selected etudes requiring progressive facility in the areas of fingering, range, rhythm and musicianship)
• Intonation (recognition of good and poor intonation along with an elementary knowledge of corrective techniques)
• Musicality (knowledge of basic tempo and dynamic markings)
• Performance (opportunities to participate in at least three public performances)