**Changes due to Covid-19**
Because of the changes made to our schools during covid, we are not able to have any persons on campus that are not employees or students. Please know that you can call anytime and I will do what I can to help. I am still here for you if you ever have a need I can help with. Please call Lianne Merrill @ 480 472-9125
FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER INFORMATION
Location: Room 25 Phone: (480) 472-9125
Hours: During school hours
Contact Person: Lianne Merrill, Family Support Specialist
For Our Families
Our resource center is a place where families can find support and tools needed to help their child be successful at home and in school. Our goal is to form strong partnerships between family, school, and community. These partnerships are designed to help remove barriers to student learning in the classroom and at home and to increase parent involvement.
Our resource center is a comfortable home-like setting where parents can: find resources to help their child be successful in school, participate in “Ready to Learn” activities, work on teacher projects, find information on community resources, attend educational workshops, take classes, meet with school staff, check out kits, videos, & books from the lending library, access emergency food and clothing, or just take a few minutes for themselves before picking up child/ren
- provide information about current school programs/events and to encourage parent involvement at the school and at home
- provide materials, games, videos, and books to encourage family communication, to enhance student success, and to help our children be ready to learn when they start school
- provide technology training, parenting classes, English classes, workshops and more for families
- provide information and resources so parents know where to turn in the community for assistance
- provide after-school enrichment, social, and/or recreational, weekend and summer programs
Parent Information & Support
- Parent Workshops - Information in Monthly Newsletters and on Taft Website
Information & Resources
- Mesa Public Schools resources
- Local resources
- Explore MPS and Taft Website
- Take College courses
- Learn how to “classes”
Educational Resources - “Helping Your Child” series from the Department of Education “How to help your child be successful” Visit: http://www2.ed.gov/parents/academic/help/hyc.html
Early Childhood Development
- “I am Your Child” video series
Tips for Parents Homework...Reading...How to Help Your Child Be Successful in School and Family Support
Parent Resource Library – for check out or viewing on-site (click on link to see resource titles)
HOW CAN YOU BE INVOLVED?
No matter how busy your schedule, we try to provide a variety of opportunities for you to be involved at the school. You can be involved with your child’s education by attending a meeting/presentation/family event or by sponsoring an extracurricular activity.
Title I School-wide Events – Title I sponsors various events/workshops each year.
Parent-Teacher Conferences – Communication between home and school is one of the best ways to ensure that your child’s school experience is a successful one.
Family Events – Family events are designed to share information on school happenings, foster relationships, and to provide social/recreational, activities for the family. These may include: (A lot of these events will not be available during the 20-21 school year)
Family Fun Nights
Community Celebration (PTO sponsored in collaboration with resource center/community)
Special Community Events
Check out the Family Resource Center for more ideas!
HOW DO I FIND OUT ABOUT FAMILY CENTER RESOURCES?
We have two newsletters the Taft Tiger Tales and “What’s Happening” or check out our website at http://www.mpsaz.org/Taft for information on the following:
· Parent tips – reading, test taking etc. · SIAC Information
· Parent workshops and classes · School district news
· Parent Involvement Opportunities · Family Fun Nights
· Student Council fundraisers and events · PTO meetings and events
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
- Volunteer your time at school events/activities. Check with your child’s teacher to see where you can help. No experience necessary! Training provided.
- Support the school-wide fundraisers or donate to ECA (AZ Tax Credit) allowing us to pay for field trips, special events, clubs and more.
- Donate paper products and/or school supplies to our supply pantry. Support a family during the holidays - call for more information.
- Make a tax-deductible donation to the Family Resource Center Gifts & Gants account to be used for our family events, clubs, and special projects.