Frequently Asked Questions
What are the rights of homeless students through the McKinney-Vento act ?
Who are the MPS McKinney-Vento contacts?
What is the enrollment procedure?
What about transportation?
What if there is a disagreement over eligibility/enrollment/transportation?
What about transportation? Top
• Regular district bus transportation is provided for: Elementary students more than 1 mile from school; Junior High students more than 1.5 miles from school; Senior High students more than 2 miles from school.
• If an eligible student is temporarily residing beyond established attendance boundaries, McKinney-Vento requires school districts to provide them with transportation to and from school of origin upon parental request and if it is determined to be in the best interest of the student.
• District transportation obligations apply only to compulsory school attendance during the regular school day unless lack of extended-day transportation is a barrier to the student's full participation in school and opportunities for academic success. Contact the district homeless family liaison if there are special circumstances to be considered.
• Districts are not obligated to provide transportation to locations other than to/from school and primary nighttime residence.
• District transportation may be provided by traditional bus, Type A bus, van, contracted transport servers, dispensing public transportation passes, or reimbursing parents who are able to transport and who meet certain district guidelines (contact the liaison for more information).
• District transportation for homeless education MUST be coordinated through the district homeless family liaison.
• Some situations require two districts to share student transportation responsibilities.
• It is parent responsibility to notify the transportation department(s) if your child(ren) will not be at a designated stop. District transportation may be cancelled after three no-shows if the transportation department is not called. Keep in contact with the liaison to help resolve transportation or communication issues quickly.
• The same behavior rules apply for ALL students provided district transportation regardless of housing status. Transportation may be suspended for any students displaying extreme or persistent misbehavior.
What if there is a disagreement over eligibility, enrollment, or transportation? Top