The purpose of the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is to assist families that are experiencing homelessness or a temporary transition. We will strive to remove barriers that would prevent your child from receiving a quality education.
Mesa Public Schools Transportation will provide transportation for your child under the McKinney-Vento Act. In order to receive transportation services under the provisions of the McKinney-Vento Act, your child (which includes you as your child's parent/guardian) must abide by the rules listed in this agreement. Mesa Public Schools may cancel your child's transportation services if your child does not comply with these rules.
Our drivers work hard to be on schedule every day. We need your cooperation in the following areas to serve your child:
1. If your child will be absent from school for any reason, you must notify the Mesa Public Schools Transportation Department by 5:30 a.m. by telephone at (480) 472-0160 or (480) 472-8950. Please call as soon as possible if you know that your child will be absent on a specific school day.
2. You cannot pick and choose which days your child will ride the bus/van. If a route is set up for your child, please do your best to adhere to the schedule.
3. Your child must follow all rules in the Information & Guidelines handbook concerning student conduct.
4. Your child is expected to be waiting outside ten minutes before the bus/van arrives for pick-up.
5. Your child must report immediately after school to their pick-up location for PM transportation. The bus/van is not scheduled to wait.
6. Mesa Public Schools has several Early Release days and Late Start days throughout the school year. Be aware of these special dates and make arrangements for your child as needed.
7. It is important for you to communicate with our office if there is a change of address or a new pick-up/drop-off location. Please notify us immediately to prevent interruption of your child's transportation. Reassignments can take 3 to 10 days to arrange. Please contact
(480) 472-0291 to report those changes.
The McKinney-Vento team or a member of the Mesa Public Schools Transportation Department will call after 3 consecutive days that your child has not been on the bus without our office being notified. If we cannot reach you, then we will assume that you have moved. Transportation will be placed on hold at that time until you have contacted the McKinney-Vento office to reinstate your route.
Failure to comply with any of the above rules will result in the following:
3rd occurrence – transportation will be placed on hold until further conversation can take place with the parent/guardian to go over the rules listed in the agreement.
5th occurrence – alternate transportation will be provided in the form of a bus pass or mileage reimbursement.
10th occurrence – transportation will be terminated.
MPS Transportation Department
Stapley Dispatch Phone:
Fremont Dispatch Phone:
Homeless Family Liaison
Phone: (480) 472-0291