Tips and Tricks
Using and troubleshooting the Lenovo Thinkpad Helix
- Directions for connecting with WiDi are here, including troubleshooting if you are having issues, and directions for getting sound to come out of speakers instead of the Lenovo.
- Whenever your Lenovo device starts to act unusual, try restarting it. That may clear up issues. You also might need to run a System Update. Click here for directions.
- If you need to adjust how the sound is working, click here.
- If your trackpad is problematic, download these updated drivers. (Source) Or call IS helpdesk x20044 or submit a workorder online.
- If your internet is not working and the connection is "Limited":
1) Go to Device Manager
2) Click to open Network Adaptors
3) Right click on Intel Centrino and Enable. If it says Disable then click to Disable and then click to Enable.
- If you are having issues connecting to the docking station, click here.
- If your keyboard is not working properly, do the paperclip reset- click here for directions. If you continue to have keyboard problems, try this Firmware update or call I.S. helpdesk x20044 or submit a workorder online.
- Click here for directions to calibrate the stylus.
- You can disable the touch keyboard so it does not pop up every time you click in a text box. Click here for directions.
- If you get the message “One or more applications are using the iTunes scripting interface” when you try to close iTunes, click here for directions.
Tips for using the device
- View a video of EdTech trainer Nat Alexander sharing some tips and tricks.
- To clean the device: Use a soft, lint-free, dry cloth, such as a microfiber cloth. Do not use screen cleaners, household cleaners, sprays, solvents, alcohol, or abrasives.
- You can connect the Helix to an external monitor with the docking station, and also can connect wirelessly to a projector, allowing up to 3 screens. For directions to adjust settings and to adjust the resolution or change the direction of the extended desktop, click here.
- The red dot in the center of the keyboard is the pointing stick, or nub. You can use it to move the pointer.
- The Helix has an integrated web cam, so when it is connected wirelessly to a projector it becomes a mobile doc cam. Bring the doc cam to your students! Open the camera app and hold the tablet over anything that you want to display. Try adding a wire locker shelf if you want to rest the device on top of something.
- The device does not have an internal CD/DVD player. If you want to access a disc, here are some options:
- Use the media stack in the library to play DVDs.
- Use an external CD/DVD player. You can check one out from the library.
- If possible, convert data to a digital format so that it can be accessed online.
- You can purchase a case or cover or a replacement stylus for the Helix.
- It is possible to attach a mechanical lock to prevent the device from being removed without your permission.