- What time does school begin?
- What time are students allowed on campus?
- What time is breakfast served on campus?
- What are breakfast and lunch prices?
- What time does school end?
- Where are the designated crosswalk areas?
- How do I enroll a student new to the district?
- How can we learn what the school rules are?
- What is Whittier's visitor policy?
- What do I do in case of an absence or tardy?
- How can I contact my childs teacher?
- What are the school colors?
- What is the school mascot?
- How do I find out about Whittier's PTO?
- What do I do if my child is on medication that needs to be taken while he/she is in school?
- If my child is ill when will he/she be allowed to return to class?
- How can I volunteer?
What time are students allowed on campus?
Please do not drop off or send students to school until after 7:20 a.m. unless they are having school breakfast. Supervision is not available outside the cafeteria until after 7:20 a.m..
What time is breakfast served on campus?
Breakfast is served in the multipurpose room from 7:05a.m until 7:38 a.m when the first bell rings. Students may not leave the cafeteria until 7:20. That is the time when supervision is available on campus. Students are dismissed through the northeast cafeteria door and supervised on the playground or at the designated morning line-up locations until classroom teachers arrive to escort the students to class.
What are breakfast and lunch prices?top
Breakfast and lunch prices are as follows:
Breakfast:Faculty & staff and visiting adults and children: $1.25
Elementary Students: Free
Lunch: Faculty & Staff and visiting adults and children: $3.25
Elementary Students: $1.85
Milk or Juice only: $.50
For information on prices, menus, nutrition, assistance applications, employment and much more click HERE to visit our Food and Nutrition Department.
At the beginning of each day, teachers collect lunch money in a sealed envelope with the student's name and the amount of money written on the outside. This is then sent to the office with the daily attendance. For your convenience, the Food and Nutrition department is pleased to announce the availability of a new service that will provide you with an easy and convenient way to send breakfast and lunch money for your children. You can create a secure online account at https://www.mylunchmoney.com/index.aspx. Users will be charged a flat $1.95 for each transaction.
What time does school end? top
- School will dismiss every day except for Wednesday at 2:15. Wednesday is early dismissal and will release at 1:45.
- Students are expected to leave their classroom and the school in
an orderly manner.
- Kindergarten students who do not ride a bus are to be picked up
outside the classroom doors in the kindergarten hall.
- Crossing guards are present for up to ten minutes after dismissal time each day. It is important for students to proceed home promptly while the crossing guards are still present.
Where are the designated crosswalk areas? top
Our designated crosswalk areas are at Longmore and 7th Place and Longmore and 8th Street. Parents choosing to cross with their students at any other location assume responsibility and liability for their child's safety.
- To register students new to the district, please bring the student's birth certificate, current immunization record and proof of residency. You may register during school office hours (6:50 a.m -3:20p.m.). For more information, click HERE
- Kindergarten students must be 5 years old by Aug. 31.
How can we learn what the school rules are?top
Each family will be provided with a Whittier Elementary School Student Handbook. The general rules of the school can be found in the handbook. For more specific classroom rules, please contact your child's teacher.
What is Whittier's visitor policy?
Whittier and Mesa Public Schools takes your child's safety and security very seriously. As per district poliicy all visitors arriving need to check in at the office and will be issued a visitors pass. Any person on campus without a pass will be escorted to the office to check in. When checking in, please sign the vistor's notebook and obtain a visitor badge. When signing the notebook please indicate arrival time, destination and (when you leave) departure time. When signing out to leave please return your visitors badge. If a parent or guardian wishes to visit frequently please contact the child's teacher.
What do I do in case of an absence or tardy?top
- Parents/Guardians are asked to call the Whittier Attendance line at 480-472-4901 between 6:50 a.m. and 8:30a.m. to report your child's absence.
- If a student arrives after the tardy bell at 7:45 he/she will not be permitted into class without a tardy slip after he/she checks in at the office.
- If a student needs to be checked out early please go to the office to check him/her out. Students will not be permitted to leave the class without a phone call from the office.
- For more information about attendance guidelines please consult your Whittier Handbook.
How can I contact my childs teacher?top
On this website click the "Staff" tab. You can find your child's teacher listed by grade level. The phone number for his/her classroom is listed or if you may send an email by clicking the email link. Teachers are available to take calls before school hours or after school hours. During the day phones do not ring into the classrooms but you may leave a message.
How do I find out about Whittier's PTO?
To find out more information about our PTO visit their page by clicking HERE
What do I do if my child is on medication that needs to be taken while he/she is in school?top
All medication must be taken to the health office in the original container. You must provide written and signed directions to the school before medication will be administered. All medication will be kept in the health office. Please do not send your child to school with any 'over the counter' medications such as cough drops, Tylenol, etc. Any medication needs to be administered at the health office.
If my child is ill when will he/she be allowed to return to class?
The district policy when your child is sent home sick or if you've kept him/her home sick is that he/she must be fever free for 24 hours without the aide of a medication such as a fever reducer.
There are several ways that parents can volunteer at Whittier. Parents could get involved with the PTO by attending meetings and helping out at PTO sponsored events. Parents could contact their child's teacher to see if there were volunteer opportunities inside of the classroom. Teachers are always looking for an extra hand in making copies, working with small groups, and other projects within the classroom. Teachers often appreciate assistance for classroom celebrations, along with needing chaperones for field trips. Track and Field is a school event that occurs in the Spring and Mr. Veitel is always appreciative of parent volunteers during this event. Ms. Vikki Cradit, the parent educator, is another great contact to inquire about other volunteer opportunities at Whittier. You can also contact the District's Volunteer Services department.