- What time does school begin?
- What time are students allowed on campus?
- What time is breakfast served on campus?
- What are breakfast and lunch prices?
- What time does school end?
- Where are the designated crosswalk areas?
- How do I enroll a student new to the district?
- How can we learn what the school rules are?
- What is Whittier's visitor policy?
- What do I do in case of an absence or tardy?
- How can I contact my child's teacher?
- What are the school colors?
- What is the school mascot?
- How do I find out about Whittier's PTO?
- What do I do if my child is on medication that needs to be taken while he/she is in school?
- If my child is ill when will he/she be allowed to return to class?
- How can I volunteer?
What time does school begin? top
Every day the first bell rings at 7:23. Our tardy bell rings at 7:30
What time are students allowed on campus? top
Please do not drop off or send students to school until after 7:10 a.m. Supervision is not available until after 7:10 a.m. Students report to their classroom when they arrive on campus.
What time is breakfast served on campus? top
Breakfast is served in the classrooms starting at 7:25 a.m. Every student will be given a breakfast to eat.
What are breakfast and lunch prices? top
Breakfast and lunch prices are as follows:
Breakfast: Faculty & staff and visiting adults and children: $2.75
Elementary Students: Free
Lunch: Faculty & Staff and visiting adults: $4.75
Elementary students: $2.05
Milk only: $.50
For information on prices, menus, nutrition, assistance applications, employment and much more click HERE to visit our Food and Nutrition Department.
At the beginning of each day, teachers collect lunch money in a sealed envelope with the student's name and the amount of money written on the outside. This is then sent to the office with the daily attendance. For your convenience, the Food and Nutrition department is pleased to announce the availability of a new service that will provide you with an easy and convenient way to send breakfast and lunch money for your children. You can create a secure online account at https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ver2/login/getmain?requestAction=home. Users will be charged a flat $1.95 for each transaction.
What time does school end? top
- School will dismiss every day at 2:00 except for Wednesday which will dismiss at 12:00.
- Students are expected to leave their classroom and the school in an orderly manner.
- Kindergarten students who do not ride a bus or do not have siblings being picked up in the East parking lot may be picked up outside the fence which is across from the Kindergarten area.
- Crossing guards are present for up to ten minutes after dismissal time each day. It is important for students to proceed home promptly while the crossing guards are still present.
Where are the designated crosswalk areas? top
Our designated crosswalk areas are at Longmore Street and 7th Place and Longmore Street and Rio Salado Parkway. Parents choosing to cross with their students at any other location assume responsibility and liability for their child's safety.
- To register students new to the district, please bring the student's birth certificate, current immunization record and proof of residency. You may register during school office hours (7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.). For more information, click HERE
- Kindergarten students must be 5 years old by Aug. 31.
How can we learn what the school rules are? top
Each family will be provided with a Whittier Elementary School Student Handbook. The handbook is also located on the first page of this website. The general rules of the school can be found in the handbook. For more specific classroom rules, please contact your child's teacher.
Whittier and Mesa Public Schools takes your child's safety and security very seriously. As per district policy all visitors arriving need to check in at the office and will be issued a visitors pass. Any person on campus without a pass will be escorted to the office to check in. When checking in, the office staff will sign you into the security system and issue you a visitor badge. When leaving please return your visitors badge. If a parent or guardian wishes to visit frequently please contact the child's teacher.
What do I do in case of an absence or tardy?top
- Parents/Guardians are asked to call the Whittier Attendance line at 480-472-4901 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. to report your child's absence.
- If a student arrives after the tardy bell at 7:30 he/she will not be permitted into class without a tardy slip after he/she checks in at the office.
- If a student needs to be checked out early please go to the office to check him/her out. Students will not be permitted to leave the class without a phone call from the office.
- For more information about attendance guidelines please consult your Whittier Handbook.
How can I contact my child's teacher? top
On this website click the "Staff" tab. You can find your child's teacher listed by grade level. The phone number for his/her classroom is listed or you may send an email by clicking the email link. Teachers are available to take calls before school hours or after school hours. During the day phones do not ring into the classrooms but you may leave a message.
What are the school colors? top
Our school colors are blue and yellow.
What is the school mascot? top
We are the Whittier Wildcats!
How do I find out about Whittier's PTO? top
To find out more information about our PTO visit their page by clicking HERE
What do I do if my child is on medication that needs to be taken while he/she is in school? top
All medication must be taken to the health office in the original container. You must provide written and signed directions to the school before medication will be administered. All medication will be kept in the health office. Please do not send your child to school with any 'over the counter' medications such as cough drops, Tylenol, etc. Any medication needs to be administered at the health office.
If my child is ill when will he/she be allowed to return to class? top
The district policy during the Coronavirus Pandemic, if the child is sent home by the nurse's office, they must either get a negative COVID test or be out of school for 10 days. If you've kept him/her home sick is that he/she must be fever free for 24 hours without the aid of a medication such as a fever reducer - following the instructions on the Health Attestation form that was signed.
How can I volunteer? top
There are several ways that parents can volunteer at Whittier. Parents could get involved with the PTO by attending meetings and helping out at PTO sponsored events. Parents could contact their child's teacher to see if there were volunteer opportunities inside of the classroom. Teachers are always looking for an extra hand in making copies, working with small groups, and other projects within the classroom. Teachers often appreciate assistance for classroom celebrations, along with needing chaperones for field trips. You can also contact the District's Volunteer Services department.