AVID Elective Application
AVID stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination and is a junior high through senior high school college readiness system designed to prepare self-determined students for college readiness.
- AVID is an academic support program that prepares students for college eligibility and success
- AVID places students in advanced classes - Honors, AP, Dual, IB with tutorial support provided by college tutors
- AVID teaches academic and social skills for academic success that are not targeted in other classes
- AVID teaches time management, note-taking strategies, and goal setting
- AVID provides support with in-class tutors and a strong student/teacher relationship
- AVID creates a positive peer group for students
- AVID develops a sense of hope for personal achievement gained through hard work and determination
What happens in the AVID Elective Class?
- Students receive academic instruction in writing note-taking, studying, test-taking, and organizing.
- Students receive academic support from college tutors through collaborative tutorial groups, peer counseling.
- Students are motivated to pursue academic excellence through goal setting, rigorous classes, cultural and college field trips, classroom guest speakers, and AVID team building.
AVID Student Profile
- College potential with support
- Good attendance
- Demonstrates good citizenship in and out of the classroom
- Has the desire and individual determination to work hard and succeed
- Works well with others
- Historically underserved in four-year colleges and universities