School support organizations
Let us help you be successful

Communications & Engagement provides assistance to schools and school support organizations (SSOs), such as parent-teacher organizations (PTOs) and booster clubs. Here's some information on establishing your organization, obtaining an tax identification number, submitting required filings, handling your finances and obtaining Governing Board approval for indemnification.

Get an EIN

Organizations may not use the district EIN.

About EINs

SSOs are separate legal entities and must obtain their own tax identification number (EIN) from the IRS.

Before you begin the process to obtain your EIN, you need to determine who will be the responsible party.

When your responsible party changes, remember to let the IRS know by submitting the required form.

Governing board approval


For an organization and its officers to be included as an indemnitee for the sake of liability, the organization must be in good standing with the district. An organization is not considered in good standing if it fails to provide the district with all updated records and financial information within the time period prescribed by the Superintendent as noted in Policy BHE.

Get approved for 2022-23

Application for Governing Board
approval for indemnification

Governing Board-approved SSOs

List of currently approved organizations
and archive of previous approvals

Setting up your SSO Information to help you set up your organization

SSO training materials

Tips and guidelines to help your organization succeed.

Formal vs. informal nonprofit

Establishing an organization

Sample bylaws

Cash controls and financial information

Fundraising Ideas

Resources to make your job easier!


Find policies, sample reports and more

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Universal Athletic online team stores

Great fundraising opportunity for your school and program.

Social media tips and guidelines

Find best practices for social media.

Annual Financial Reporting for SSOs
Please find the annual report form here . If you are no longer part of a school support organization, look for the link to unsubscribe to this news feed at the bottom of the email.
Full Story

Subscribe to SSO Newsfeed

We are here to help

Carol Alexander, Student Activities

Leslie Coca-Udave, Internal Auditor

Lise Turner, Communications & Engagement

Kacey King, Legal Counsel

Sarah Byrd, Food and Nutrition

Student activities website

Fundraising, student travel and more important SSO information.

Food & nutrition website

Find food guidelines and more information for SSO activities.