Be Positive Online: Communication
Etiquette is a set of rules for how to have good manners and treat others with respect. Internet etiquette is also known as "netiquette."
It's how we should act when we are online.
Task: Watch the movie, BrainPop Digital Etiquette.
- Treat people online the way you want to be treated in real life.
- Communicate clearly.
- Choose words carefully. Check tone, grammar & spelling.
- Ask permission before posting pictures, videos or information about other people.
- The Internet is not private. If you don't want everyone to see it, don't post it.
Email & Chat Netiquette:
- Don't use ALL CAPITALS. This is seen as shouting.
- Be clear and to the point.
- Avoid using emoticons and abbreviations in formal messages.
Check for Understanding:
- Why is it important to be careful about the words you choose to share online?
- Why is it a good idea to check to make sure something is true before you share it?