Individualized Education Plan

IEP Process | Inclusion Classes | IEP Team | Miscellaneous | 504


IEP Process

Question: How does an IEP work at the junior high level?
Answer: The function of the IEP remains the same throughout all grades. All teachers are responsible for contributing to the IEP and take part in helping develop and implementing it.

Question: Who handles IEPs?
Answer: Case managers and the school psychologist handle IEP meetings and anything related to IEPs.

Question: How is a case manager determined and what is their role?
Answer: Case managers are determined for your child based on classes assigned to the students. We try to make sure your child has at least one classs with their case manager so he/she can stay in thouch.

Question: Can I meet with someone prior to the start of school to make sure my student is set up appropriately?
Answer: The special education staff works diligently with counseling to ensure schedules are aligned with the IEP before the start of the school year. Special education teachers do not get extended contracts, so they are not available before the year starts for meetings. If there is a specific concern, please notify counseling and they will let the special education department chair know of your special case.

Question: When do I schedule an IEP meeting to meet with my student's teachers to discuss his/her accommodations?
Answer: Parents can schedule meetings at any time throughout the year to meet with their child's teachers. It is usually more efficient to contact the student's case manager so that he/she can coordinate and set up the meeting. This meeting may or may not be considered an actual IEP meeting, which generally is held once a year.

Question: Is there a pull-out class for special education like there is in elementary school?
Answer: No, there not a pull-out service at the junior high level (with the exception of speech or other specialized services). If a students neets intensive teaching, he/she will be placed in a resource setting by the IEP team.

Back to top


Inclusion Classes

Question: What are inclusion classes? 
Answer: Inclusion classes are a collaboration of general education teachers and special education teachers. Both teachers work closely with each other to ensure that accommodations are being met and that modifications are made when it is appropriate in the general education classroom.

Question: Is there an inclusion class for every subject?
Answer: There is not an inclusion class for every subject at this time; there are only inclusion classes for the core academic areas (Math, English and Reading). Whenever possible, there are special education supports in science classrooms with an aide in place.

Question: What is a study skills class? What happens in this class?
Answer: A study skills class is an elective class designed to support the special education students in their general education classrooms. In study skills classes, academic skills are reinforced, homework is supervised and organizational skills are taught to help students succeed in the general education setting.

Question: What happens when they are not in an inclusion class?
Answer: If a student requires an academic service by their IEP (math, reading, English, study skills), the team decides where the child is best served: in a general education class with no service, in a general education inclusion class or in a resource class. If he/she is placed in a resource class by the IEP team, he will receive services only from a special education teacher qualified to teach the subject area.  

Back to top


The IEP Team

Question: Who is the IEP team?
Answer: The IEP team consists of all a student's teachers, administration, counselors and the parents. Others may be involved if the parent requests it. It is very important that parents attend any meeting involving their children.

Question: Is tutoring help available from the special education teacher?
Answer: Yes. Please discuss this with the teacher involved and he/she will arrange before or after school tutoring by appointment.

Question: Will teachers think I'm interfering too much if I call or e-mail?
Answer: Teachers expect and encourage parents to ask questions and to be involved in their student's progress. Please use the parent portal, e-mail teachers directly, call teachers and/or arrange visits if you have concerns about your child's education.

Back to top



Question: Who do I contact for information/problems?
Answer: Contact your child's case manager or counselor if you need a question answered concerning your child's education. 

Question: What if my student does not meet AIMS standards? What will be done to help them meet requirements? Can they still move on and get a diploma if they fail to meet requirements?
Answer: If a special education child does not meet AIMS standards, he/she will receive instruction in those areas daily. If he/she still has not met AIMS requirements by the time he/she gets through high school, the special education team will meet to determine if that requirement can be waived for that particular student to receive his graduation diploma. Each case is unique and the team alone can make that decision.

Back to top



Question: Who handles 504's?
Answer: At the junior high level, 504's are handled by counseling.

Question: How does a 504 work?
Answer: Please contact the counseling department in regards to this question.

Back to top