Positive Behavior Interventions & Supports
What is PBIS?
PBIS is an approach to increase positive behaviors that impact student success and achievement. It involves identifying behavior expectations and encouraging students to follow those expectations by setting up systems of rewards that can be earned. This is intended to build positive habits, behaviors and relationships.
Research shows that proper PBIS training helps teachers create a positive school climate which consists of a safe and supportive learning environment that cultivates student success. At Guerrero Elementary, teachers and staff are trained in the use of PBIS tools and strategies to help engage our students in creating the positive culture that we want for our school.
At Guerrero students focus on making positive behavior choices that are respectful, responsible, safe and trustworthy. When students follow these expectations they are rewarded with Gecko Pride Tickets that are used in raffles on daily announcements and monthly assemblies. Each month, a role model student is selected to be recognized at our assembly.
Key Elements of PBIS
- Define, teach and acknowledge positive behaviors
- On-going data collection and use of data for decision making regarding implementation of systems that support effective practices
- Continuum of universal supports, targeted interventions, and individualized supports
- Implement evidence-based behavioral practices with fidelity and accountability
- Arrange the environment to prevent the development and occurrence of problem behavior (this means changing OUR behaviors)