Dual Language Academy
Two-Way 50/50 Immersion Model
Beginning in the fall of 2022, Guerrero Elementary will offer a Dual Language program to provide students with the opportunity to become biliterate and bilingual in both English and Spanish.
In a Two-Way 50/50 model, student populations in the classroom are balanced, appx 50% native English and 50% native Spanish speakers with academic instruction taking place in both languages, half of the day in English and half of the day in Spanish.
Our inaugural class will be enrolling for kindergarten and will continue to grow with the students as they progress through their grades K-12 + college.
Dual Language Academy Steps to Get Started
Register for Kindergarten
January 24-March 1, 2022 (Enrollment Dates)
Complete Interest Form by 2/28/22
(Does Not Guarantee Acceptance into Program)
Acceptance or Decline Communication
Families will receive on or before April 1
The goal of our program is to create students who are bilingual, biliterate, and bicultural giving them a competitive advantage in the future workforce of a global economy.
A strong partnership between parents, teachers, and administration helps to create students who are bilingual, biliterate, reach high academic achievement and who will cultivate an understanding and appreciation of diverse cultures.
Questions About the Program? Contact
- Christina Bhattacharya, Bilingual Administrator
- 480-492-9219 or stop by the front office
Benefits of Dual Language Programs
There has been much research regarding the benefits of learning another language at a young age.
- Reach a high level of proficiency in two languages.
- Perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on assessments of English and math administered in English.
- Improved performance on tasks that call for critical thinking and problem solving.
- Improved mental skills that that enable us to plan, focus attention, remember instructions, and juggle multiple tasks successfully.
- Develop an appreciation and positive attitude toward other cultures.
- Are better prepared for the global community and job markets.
Frequently Asked Questions
My kinder student has siblings who are living out of Guerrero school boundaries. Can they enroll at Guerrero?
Yes, any siblings of students that have been accepted at Guerrero's Dual Language Academy may attend Guerrero Elementary whether they live in the school boundaries our outside of the boundaries.
What happens after my dual-language child graduates from Guerrero Elementary?
Students will be able to continue dual language programs at the junior high and high school level. In high school they will be able to earn college credit toward a minor/major in Spanish.