Elementary Elementary students, from Young Learners to 6th graders, are involved in a variety of curriculum-based and extracurricular service learning. The five below are pretty common. Mesa teachers will find project ideas for each grade level under this section. There are suggestions for every elementary curriculum subject.
- Kindergarteners visit a care center quarterly to entertain and socialize with the elders.
Students beautify their campuses with gardens and murals.
- Older students regularly meet with younger students in cross-age tutoring programs.
- Students make learning games and flashcards for younger kids.
- School clubs create an ongoing campaign to teach character development.
Junior High Junior high students in 7th and *the grade are involved in a variety of curriculum based and extracurricular service learning. The interests and personalities of the schools, teachers and students determine the projects. The five projects below are pretty common.
- Special Ed students manage their school's recycling program.
- Reading students serve as "reading buddies" at nearby elementary schools.
- Social Studies students run a Teen Court.
- Performing Arts students entertain at senior centers and community events.
- Students create quilts, knit caps, and baby rattles to donate.
Senior High Senior high students in 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade are involved in a variety of curriculum based and extracurricular service learning. The interests and personalities of the schools, teachers and students determine the projects the five below are pretty common.
- Social studies students volunteer in campaign offices.
- Sports medicine students care for the needs of their school's teams.
- English students write, illustrate, and donate original children's books.
- School clubs gather donations of items and funds for local non-profits.
- Students volunteer independently throughout the community.