MPS encourages, supports and recognizes community service
Our mission is to engage all teachers and their students in meaningful community services experiences that teach and reinforce the curriculum.
Mesa Service Learning is a network of teachers, students, administrators and community organizations whose collaboration builds opportunities for youth service. It is part of academic and extracurricular programs at all levels of education. An Advisory Board of youth and adults from schools, community organizations and businesses meet monthly to oversee the program.
Students must complete an application first. Students will only earn credit for service learning hours completed after receiving approval via a completed online application. Once the application and service has been approved, student will receive a time card via email to record the completion of hours. In order to receive credit for any service, students must complete a reflection.
This year Service Learning is joining forces with Builders Club to increase the number of students doing service in their community. Please watch announcements for meeting dates/times.
How Can You Earn Service Learning Hours?
1. Find a Place to Volunteer in the Community (You need to submit an application online & complete a reflection)
- Any non-profit organization/group/city program or 501c3
- Make up your own project (not for a relative or babysitting)
- If you need ideas, see the Service Learning Opportunities on this page.
- Builder's Club - watch announcements for meeting information
- Student Council
- or other
- Performance for an elementary school or senior center
- Class project which educates the community
Mrs. Talia Daggert
I enjoy being the Service Learning Coach here at Stapley. It is a great chance to meet and work with students who are interested in helping others. Please stop by Room 146 in the math hallway to discuss this amazing opportunity.
Service Learning Opportunities
If you don't already have a place to volunteer, here are a few ideas...
- 12 places for kids - video
- AYSO Referee - video
- Teach a younger Student to play an instrument
- Tutor peers or younger students
- Boy Scouts Eagle Project
- Volunteer at a senior care center
- Pass out water at a fundraiser walk
- Help at a elementary school carnival
- Organize a clean-up project
- Referee or coach a sport
- Click here for a list of organizations and contact information
- Mesa Parks & Rec Teen Leadership Training
- Junior Lifeguarding (City of Mesa)
- Step Up To Stapley Summer Camp
- Maricopa County Library Summer Teen Volunteer Program