Mesa Public Schools - Strategic Plan
This strategic plan, Charting Excellence, details the guiding philosophies, priorities, and goals for the Mesa Unified School District. The plan guides the work of the school system and engages the community to improve student achievement, and optimize human, fiscal, and programmatic resources to meet the needs of students. Primarily, the strategic plan provides the framework to ensure that the work of the school system is data driven and clearly focused on student success.
The Mesa Public Schools takes seriously their charge to ensure the success of all of our community's children while students in our schools system and after graduation as they pursue post-secondary studies or career aspirations. The strategic plan outlines initiatives, programs, and services focused to ensure the school district's mission.
Strategic planning provides a variety of purposes in school districts, including:
- Clearly defining the purpose of the organization and to establish realistic priorities, goals, and objectives consistent with that mission in a defined time frame within the organization's capacity for implementation.
- Communicating those goals and objectives to the school system's constituents.
- Developing a sense of ownership of the plan.
- Ensuring the most effective use is made of the organization's resources by focusing those resources on key priorities.
- Providing a base from which progress can be measured and establish a mechanism for informed change when needed.
- Listening to everyone's opinions in order to build consensus about where the organization is going.
Progress toward the achievement of goals related to the strategic plan's key priorities will be reviewed annually. Modifications will be made to respond to current trends, availability of resources, and changing district emphases as defined by the Governing Board.
The Development Team
A representative community team was identified to facilitate the development of the
Charting Excellence strategic plan priorities and goals. We appreciate the valuable
contributions of the following community members:
Dr. Michael B. Cowan, Superintendent
Governing Board Members
|Mr. Michael Hughes
Mr. David Lane
Mr. Mike Nichols
Mr. Steven Peterson
Mrs. Michelle Udall
Dr. Ben Whiting
Parents, Students and Community Members
District and School Staff
Dr. Suzie DePrez
|Dr. Gerrick Monroe
Dr. Joe O'Reilly
Dr. Janice Ramirez
The superintendent and Governing Board would like to acknowledge the contribution of the national organization, The Partnership for Excellence. Under the extraordinary facilitation and direction of Dr. Judy Phillips assisted by Dr. Dennis Deardon, the Partnership worked with district administration to orchestrate
opportunities for community-wide involvement into the development of the
Mesa Public Schools Strategic Plan priorities and goals.
Click HERE for a PDF copy (500KB) of the MPS Strategic Plan