WHITMAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL UNIFORM POLICY
Students are expected to dress properly in standard school uniform attire daily. It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure compliance with the dress code. All students who attend Whitman Elementary must dress in accordance with this dress code.
STANDARD SCHOOL CLOTHING—All students will wear standard school uniform clothing. The clothing may not be altered in a manner that includes, but is not limited to decorative buttons, slits, colored stitching, shredded hems, designs, string, etc. Uniforms should be clean and in good repair.
Standard school uniform clothing is as follows:
- PANTS – Navy or Tan must be worn at the waist and belts must be through the loops. Skinny pants maybe worn it they are NOT denim and have a button & zipper, NO corduroy pants, denim/jeans, sweat suit pants, pajamas, logos insignias, pictures or messages. NEW - Cargo pants are allowed but must be worn appropriately. NO sagging, dragging or bagging of pants is allowed.
- SKIRTS, JUMPERS OR SKORTS – Navy or Tan; must be knee level or longer. Blouse or polo must be worn under the jumper. Absolutely NO logos, insignias, pictures or messages. Leggings may be worn under skirts if they are red, white or blue.
- SHORTS – Navy or Tan knee length. Shorts must be worn at the waist and belts must be through the loops. Absolutely NO denim/jeans, logos, insignias, pictures or messages. NEW - Cargo shorts are allowed this year.
- SHIRTS – Red, White, Dark Blue or Light Blue plain collared, polo shirt, dress shirt, long or short sleeve. Absolutely NO logos, insignias, pictures or messages.
- UNDERGARMENTS—No undergarments may show. A plain white T-shirt may be worn under the uniform shirt. The sleeves may not show below the uniform shirt sleeves.
- HATS—Hats may only be worn outside. No inappropriate logos, no skeletons or gang logos.
- SHOES—For safety reasons, close-toed shoes are required. No sandals are permitted. No shoes may have a heel higher than 1”. Shoes with wheels are not permitted.
- COLD WEATHER –Long sleeved solid color turtle neck shirts or T-shirts may be worn UNDER the uniform polo shirt. They may be any color, but with no writing or designs visible. Non-hooded solid color sweatshirts or sweaters can be worn in the classroom only if the uniform polo shirt collar is displayed over top. Hooded sweatshirts may be worn in the classroom. Hoods may not be worn on the head in the school building. Jackets are not to be worn in the classroom. NO logos, insignias, pictures or message can be displayed.
- NO OVERSIZED CLOTHING WILL BE ALLOWED—Baggy or oversized clothing is not permitted. No sagging, dragging or bagging of clothing is allowed.
- ACCESSORIES—Buttons, jewelry, etc., may not display vulgar, obscene or offensive messages. Anything that might interfere with school activities or promote anything that would be illegal for students (tobacco, alcohol, drugs) is not permitted. Earrings may NOT be larger than 1” diameter or dangle longer than 1”. Any inappropriate item will need to be removed and taken home after school.
- PERSONAL APPEARANCE—Make-up is not permitted. Hair color must be of natural origin. No orange, blue, bright red, green or other unnatural colors are permitted. Facial jewelry may not be worn.
- ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT—Lasers or electronic equipment are not allowed. Cell phones must be turned off and in Backpacks.
Interpretation of the dress code rests with the Principal or the designee as the need arises during the school year. Students who come to school out of uniform will be asked to change for the day into clothes provided by the school or to telephone a parent to bring appropriate attire. Beanies or doo rags are NOT allowed. The principal has a right to stop any pattern, for example groups wearing identical earrings, chains, beads, bracelets, etc. or anything that may be mistaken for gang affiliation.
UNIFORMS CAN BE BOUGHT IN ANY DEPARTMENT OR DISCOUNT STORE. UNIFORMS ARE AVAILABLE AT WAL-MART, TARGET, KOHLS, JC PENNEY, FALLAS DISCOUNT STORES, FACTORY 2-U, FALLAS PAREDES, FALLAS KIDS.